Help with my Plumie!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by sunnycharacter, Dec 5, 2008.

1. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Please, can anyone help me? I have a couple specific questions about my plumie, and I live in SW Missouri, NOBODY here even knows what it is unless they've been to the tropics! I've had mine about 3 years. Also just planted this summer a potted junior, about 2 ft high and 2 healthy forks.

I need to know about what and where to cut my plumie. I know when and how. But my 5+ foot, potted leggy plant has only (3) 5" top flowering stems. It's now December, they are dormant, no leaves. No pods yet since I've had it. Trunk is 1.25" wide. Branches are about the same, only 3 and one long flower stem still in tact, no flowers. Should I just cut in the spring, from the actual trunk, or from each of the 3 branches? So many opinions, and no instructional photos! Thanks so much in advance.

2. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi,what is a plumie? Do you have a photo -it would help so that we can give you accurate info.
    ciao bertoli

3. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Oh sorry! Plumeria. Some of us Plumeria lovers lovingly call them Plumies!

4. bertoli55

I thought that you might have meant plumeria but wasn't sure. In Australia they are more commonly known as frangipani. They are pretty amazing plants and easy to grow. It depends on how you want your plant to look as to which branches you prune.
    If you prune the three branches then you will get multiple shoots on those branches and a more bushy tree.

You can use the prunings to grow new frangipanis - just let the cut ends dry out before planting. I usually wait about a week before planting them out but in the past have forgotten to pot them up for about 8 weeks and they still grew ok. Frangipani are seen in many gardens in Australia - they are pretty drought resistant when established, grow in a wide range of climatic conditions, are easy to propagate and have amazing flowers.

Usually I would prune frangipani in their dormant period. If you have really cold winters it may be better to prune them just before they usually start to sprout new leaves.
    ciao bertoli

5. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

G'day Mate!
    Haha I bet you've heard that a million times from us!! Thanks so much for your help. My trunk is so tall (5 ft) & narrow, I wanted to know if I can start my cutting sections from the actual trunk, like every 10'' from 3 feet above the dirt in the pot. plus cutting the 3 branches at the top! because if I only cut the 3 branches at top I would really have a top heavy tree. especially when it blooms. i wish I had known to ask 2 years ago before it got so tall. but it bloomed so nice all spring and summer. may I send you a picture? thank you so much!

6. bertoli55

Hi, sure you can cut from the main trunk. If you are happy with the basic shape of your three branches you can cut the trunk at a bit below the size and shape that ou are happy with (allowing for the section that will be under soil) and plant the top so that you'll have the same shaped plant but at the height you'd like. The remaining bit of the main trunk will sprout not far below the cut section. You can always prune the three trunks in the next dormant period.

Seeing that you haven't done this before it would probably be better to be a little conservative with your first pruning. If you were in a zone where plumeria grow like weeds then it wouldn't matter so much - it's worthwhile seeing how the plant responds to pruning and how long cuttings can take to shoot in your zone and in your garden.

I prefer working with bigger pieces as cuttings so that you have a decent trunk without branching too close to the ground. Also,with 10" pieces with cuts both ends you may lose a few if you don't have good growing conditions. You need to let the cuttings dry out for about a week to form a callous over the cut ends. If they are planted too early they can rot rather than shoot I can't remember ever having a cutting with both ends cut - you'll have a better looking plant with a growing tip and cut end and won't mistake top and bottom.
    Make sure that your cuttings are in fast draining potting mix and water very sparingly or not at all until new shoots appear otherwise your cuttings will rot. It can take ages for new shoots so you have to be patient.

Have you been growing your frangipani in a really sunny position? They tend to grow a bit leggy if they are reaching for sunlight. Post a photo -it would be good to see your plant. ciao bertoli

7. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Hi and thanks SO MUCH for your speedy reply! I realize it is a whole day ahead where you are.

Yes, I will do what you suggest and be VERY conservative and patient, only cutting one stalk from the trunk and I'll do exactly as you prescribe. My sunroom is very sunny, evenly tempered and a perfect place for it's dormacy stage in winter, but perfect in the summer. It was leggy to start with when I bought it from the store, and I was uneducated in Plumeria care.

I kind of thought I might get pods this year, but the flower stalk is still conneced to the leafless branches (between the 3 of them). Should I not expect pods if there are no insects to pollinate? Or does it just take more time and age for this to happen?

We spent one vacation a few years ago in Maui, Hawaii, and I fell in love with the plants then, came home and found one in a Lowe's store. I bought it for when we finished building our 4-seasson sunroom. It LOVES it in here! I also grow other tropicals that can't survive winter here, including Hibiscus and Oleander. Don't worry, my dog isn't interested in these poisonous plants. I keep the Oleander behind other plants where my little dog can't get to it anyway.

Well, I have bent your ear enough. If you could let me know what to expect with getting seed pods from my frangipani, that would be great. Yes, I knew they were also called that, but when I talked about them around here, folks looked at me like I had a purple frog on my head! Hhahahahaha!

8. bertoli55

Good luck with getting seed pods. I've never had seed pods on my trees - maybe our climate is too hot and dry and my garden too "waterwise". I asked two other people who have numerous mature trees of different colours and they hadn't spotted any seed pods either. Maybe you need a more tropical environment - also I don't know which insect pollinates frangipani flowers. We have a lot of bees but if they are the pollinators, they're not doing their job :)

You're doing very well to grow these indoors. Have you thought about taking them outside for spring/summer and then bringing then indoors for the cold seasons?
    Good luck
    ciao bertoli

9. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

I believe it may have something to do with the climate indeed. The ones I saw in Hawaii had tons of pods hanging from them. This was in the month of July! They have a rainshower (maybe only 15 min.) almost every day.

Also, I think it depends on the area they are grown for the insects, that is. I've heard hawk moths or night flying moths love them.

Yes, I've considered taking them outside, even planting them in the ground with the pot bottoms cut out, then bringing them inside in the fall. But I really don't have time for that. I'll have to look into the idea of just leaving them outside for the spring and summer. But you know I love smelling them here in the house!

Well, have a great day or night, or whatever time it is there! I think you are about 16 hours ahead of us.

10. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

I think having them on a heating mat would help you out. Do you have them set directly on that tile?
    That's cold. I live in SWFL and have around twenty different Frangi's out back. Palms are my thing now...
    From my experience they like dry feet and warm weather. I think one of those 'seedling' type heating mats would be perfect...

~LCA.

11. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Well, I do have them on the tile in the sunroom. Since they are now in hibernation mode and it's December, I just thought I was supposed to stop watering them. So their feet are dry for certain. I keep the temp in the sunroom (4-season) about 70 degrees. I use a heat pump/ac unit going in there in the night, and only on the days the sun doesn't shine in the winter. In the summer, if it startes to get too warm, I kick on the ac in the afternoon. It balances out the whole room in extremes. We have a wide open doorway into the sunroom from our livingroom and another door that we can open from our bedroom. I am keeping my two frangipanis in the "always shady" end (north) in my sunroom.

So do you think I should move them to the SW side and place on something other than the bare tile? Even though they are not being watered for the winter, will the warmer end of the sunroom not be too dry and warm (like when it's sunny in there)? Thanks so much!

12. bertoli55

Hi Sunny character
    plumeria will tolerate very hot conditions if they have the right water balance. I wouldn't worry too much about putting your plants in the warmest part of the room as you seem to be managing them well as it is - having healthy,bug free, flowering plants indoors is an achievement.
    You could try changes around the room, changing watering practises etc but if what you're already doing is resulting in lots of growth and flowers then stick with what you're doing.
    ciao bertoli

13. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Well thanks! I do try to take care of them the best I can. It is great that I have this resource to help me do things right. I'm looking forward to cutting them to grow more. But I will be patient!
    God bless and Merry Christmas!

14. K Baron

K Baron Well-Known Member

Just a quick reply... I have had great success with Plumerias, plucked from the Florida Keys...

If I over watered them, they were dreadfully unhappy.

The brightest and warmest window, always gave the best results for the bounty of fragrant blooms.

They always bloomed in the dead of winter, including Christmas!

I miss them dearly...

15. LeftCoastAngler

LeftCoastAngler Active Member

Get 'em up off that tile and onto maybe something like a phonebook or something. The plants still alive... It DOES NOT LIKE COLD FEET.
    NO more watering until Spring. Even then, water sparingly... Once a month even... It's a succulent, and can use it's stored H20/nutrition... They'll enjoy the dry spell... Trust me.

~LCA.

16. sunnycharacter

sunnycharacter Member

Yes, they sure do love the SW side of my sunroom! They bloomed like crazy Spring and Summer, their first time! I sure will put them on a platform while in hibernation, no water though. My begonia and geranium are still blooming! I sure would love to see my plumies bloom all year, but they must know they are in Missouri, even if they aren't outside. Thanks to everyone for all your help!