Viridis for FREE

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Hybrid Theory, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Active Member

I'll tell ya my dad is the smoothest talking sob I know. He went today to buy a viridis to plant around his pond and got one for free also. The guy was digging them up out of the ground and the one burlap bag came open just a tiny bit and let a little dirt fell out so he gave it to my dad for free. So in turn since I plant all the trees and use my truck to get them my dad gave me the other one. Its a $200 tree for free. Now we have spent over 1k this year there it was still awesome of him to do that when he didn't have to. It gets even better the guy then offers me a job for next spring. He wants me as a salesman for him. All in all it was a really good day today, and I thought it would be bad being my last day of vacation.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Way to go, H.T.!!! What a cosmic chain of events. Congrats on the tree and the job offer! Thanks for sharing your good news. Success to you!

3. Hybrid Theory

here is my tree I got for free sorry it took so long had to buy a new camera and I"m trying to figure it out.

[​IMG]

4. togata57

Thanks for the photo, H.T.! Just wait till spring, when those little leaves start showing...! It will be gorgeous. I am glad you got the camera going, because I want to see pictures of it in all its fluffiness. Looks to be a good healthy tree, too.---So, did you take the job?

5. Hybrid Theory

yeah i start at the end of march. its a good thing to cause with my wife being pregnant and due in april she wont be working for 6 weeks so at least I"ll be getting two checks.

6. togata57

Excellent! Good to be employed in this day and age. Even better if you don't have to spend every penny as soon as you get it.---Hope your wife is feeling OK, and that all goes well. ---Hey: you can post a picture of the viridis AND the baby! New tree---new human! Wow. Cosmically significant. I like the idea!

7. Hybrid Theory

we actually found out a couple weeks ago she has gestation diabetes and we are having a little trouble getting her sugar in line. She shes been feeling horrible a lot of the time. We have to go to the doc every week since we are at high risk now so I"m keeping my fingers crossed that mommy stays ok and the baby also. We find out this thursday what we are having so I can't wait. With the baby being due april 19 and me getting my other job in march I'll get to see my trees and baby grow.

8. togata57

Oh, H.T.! My heart goes out to you both. Scary. I sincerely hope that she has a GOOD doctor who pays attention. I already know that you take good care of her! May everything be peaceful for you all from now on. Yeah, maybe there was a really good reason why you just happened to meet this guy on this particular day who just happened to offer you a job! I believe that it was a good omen. ---I will be thinking of you and wishing you well: let us know how things go. Baby-wise AND tree-wise!

9. Hybrid Theory

thank you very much I appreciate that. I will keep you updated.

10. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Great looking little Viridis
    Getting that for free is something that doesn't happen to me much .......

11. Hybrid Theory

I"m telling ya me neither, its just cause my dad was there. he gets so much stuff its amazing. every tree he bought off this nursery he paid less then 50% for all of them and he bought quite a few in peak selling time.

12. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yah, I want lessons. Next time take video! lol

13. prairiestyle

prairiestyle Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hey congrats! My wife is also due with our second baby coming up this spring. They told her a due date of April 14, but if HE's anything like our first (we found out the gender last week), it'll likely be earlier in April. Spring is a wonderful time of year - so much new life everywhere. Best wishes for you and your wife for your pregnancy.

14. Hybrid Theory

I'll tell ya my dad is just one of those people who can talk to anyone like hes known them his whole life. I think that comfort he gives around people is why he gets the things he does.

15. Hybrid Theory

this post isn't tree related but we found out today we are having a girl!! I am so excited!!!

16. togata57

Excellent news! Congratulations!

17. togata57

Are you considering any floral or botanical names...?

18. Hybrid Theory

I have looked but I know the wife will not go for that.

19. togata57

Awwww! Are you sure? Lots of good names in the botanical world! Well, if she's set on a certain name, going with what she likes is a good idea. One that you BOTH like, even better. How 'bout her big brother---what's his opinion?

20. Hybrid Theory

well as soon as he got out of school he ran up to Jess and said mommy what are we having and Jess said a little girl and Miah was like oh man I wanted a little brother. The look on his face was priceless. We are actually looking for a name that is not common with girls so any suggestions I would apprecaite it very much.

21. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Well, this probably won't fly. But what about Flora (too girly?) or Heather (I know, too common)?

22. togata57

My favorite girls' name is my daughter's: Eleanor. ---Interestingly enough, Elanor is the name of a flower in Lord of the Rings---and the name given to the first child of Frodo's friend, Sam Gamgee.

And my son's name is Sam! ---No, neither of my kids' names was LOTR-derived. Just names I liked a lot and that everyone could live with. I am happy to say that these names each suit their owners---and, even better, the owners like 'em too.

"Lily" is good. Can't go wrong with "Rose"! I have a co-worker named "Erica", and she is great. ---I quizzed my aforementioned daughter on this subject, and she instantly said "Ivy". I like that too!

23. togata57

Ha! Enjoyed the story of your son's reaction to the news. Emphasize that "You're going to be a big brother" thing. And ask him what his sister's name should be---that should be entertaining! I daresay he has ideas on the subject, and he might just have a really good name in mind. Kids are mysterious little creatures...they're thinking all the time! Plus, he will feel important to be asked. It's excellent that you are keeping him informed about things---telling him what's going on lets him know that he's included.

I would say "Acer", but that's a boy's name! If you were a New Zealander, I'd say "Ngaio" (means 'flowering tree' in Maori). Or if you were an orchid fancier---"Keiki"! Hmm. "Iris"? "Cicely"?---I like the old-fashioned jewel names, too, such as "Ruby", "Opal", and "Diamond". (By the way, the latter is the birthstone for April.)

P.S.: My daughter further adds: "Violet".

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  24. Hybrid Theory

we asked our son what he would like and so far he said Brooklyn which shocked me. We are also thinking about Nora or Delaney.

25. togata57

Is your son a soccer fan? David and Victoria Beckham have a 9-year-old son named Brooklyn. ---I like "Nora"!