Identification: Sick plant needs identification and care

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Lammy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Lammy

Lammy Member

My sister had this plant given to her and she kept it in her bay window in Ohio for years. It was outgrowing its home, so she gave it to me. I brought it to Florida and was going to bring it in at first frost but the frost got it first. the leafs have fallen off of it, but the stalk is not soft. I have no idea how to care of it and do not know what it is, for that matter to find out, how to care for it. The stalks are square and each corner has little fuzzy brown stuff on them. It had large oval green leafs on it that grow out the tops. When you cut into the stalk, it has what is just like elmers glue in it, sticky and all.

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Watch where you get that sticky stuff because it's highly poisonous and can also be caustic. Especially take care not to get into eyes. Wash hands and secateurs after pruning and don't let the sap sit on your skin too long it may blister.

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Ok, bearing in mind that you need to wear rubber or nitrile gloves for the whole operation, since the sap (as Chungii noted) can be caustic - different people react differently to it, but better safe than sorry. I have scars on my hands from Euphorbia sap, back before I knew better.

Your plant's sick because of the type of soils it's in, and it needs to be re-potted.

Most of the succulent-type Euphorbs, this one included, need soil that is extremely well-draining; it looks to me like that one's in plain old potting soil, so it's probably got squishy feet. Re-pot into cactus mix (available at garden centers). And when you do, check the roots; if anything's mooshy or browning, cut it off before you resituate the plants. Then avoid giving it a drink for about a week while it adapts.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Agree with lorax about the soil: it looks gackly.

6. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

To stop the flow of sap, should you injure your plant while re-potting it, spray it with water. I have a Euphorbia, of a different variety, but they all have the milky sap. When I move it or transplant it, it pokes itself with it's spines. I keep a spray bottle of water handy and generously spray the 'bleeding' spots, the water stops the flow. This also works for Ficus benjamina plants which also have a milky sap.

7. sharon75

sharon75 Member

i have this same plant i beleive tis the same anyway.....yes soil must be dry and dirsct sun is best i found......be very gentle with it......

Attached Files:

8. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Yup, that's the same one but with the lovely leaves. Yours looks very healthy!

9. Lammy

Lammy Member

Mine is doing much better thanks to the help I got off this siight. I cut the top that had been frost bitten off of it. Now the plant is nice and warm inside my house, and it is looking out the window. It is getting little shoots off the sides again, leaves. it is happy and healthy again. Thanks guys!