Mutant Redwood in The Lost Groves

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by M. D. Vaden, Oct 27, 2008.

1. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Just had a remarkable time exploring in the redwoods with someone who lives south of Orick, California.

We checked out an area of Prairie Creek Redwoods which may be referred to as The Lost Groves.

This is the most interesting old growth landscape I've been too. I don't think Atlas Grove or Tall Trees Grove quite compares to the seclusion and antiquity that this ancient stand exudes.

My favorite redwood tree in The Lost Groves is the Mutant Redwood - attached.

There is so much going on with this tree from plants to deformities to burns. Both sides are very unusual looking, yet very dissimilar.

When I get back up north, I may post another image with a person for size comparison. I'm surprised to even get internet signal right now from somewhere, sitting here in my camp trailer in Applegate Valley.

Attached Files:

2. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Back in town. One more image.

Attached Files:

3. dirt reaper

dirt reaper Member

Pacific Northwest - Washington State, USA
    Very cool!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cool pics MD.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

One big old lumpy tree among lots of slender trees . . . would I be right in guessing that this area was felled last century, with the one poorly-shaped tree (from a timber man's perspective) being left, and new regeneration coming up around it?