Indoor Citrus varieties in Edmonton, Alberta.

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Granrey, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

I'm looking for indoor citrus varieties. I have an extra meyer lemon that my other plant produced from a seed that I got from it early this year.

If you have extra seeds/plants from indoor citrus varieties just let me know.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

In case you're not aware, Ellerslie Gift & Garden - located in your area - is a source for citrus; apparently some less common varieties have been available there. I mention this because citrus trees can be somewhat difficult to find at times.
    Meyer lemon seed is monoembryonic and will not grow true to type. Better to propagate with cuttings.

3. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Thanks for the info.

I actually bought my Meyer at Ellerslie over a year ago, It's good store but their prices are bit to high for everything. Yes, learned that recently that my two new lemmons my take good years prior flowering as well they might not be exactly Meyer.

I've been told that I can get citrus a reasonable prices at chinese new year on January 26, 2008 at chinese stores.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I normally make a tour of such nurseries around Chinese New Year. The usual fare include calamondins and a few Nagami kumquats, although this year I suspect there'll be a few pummelos too. I managed to score a variegated calamondin last year. Around here the prices seem to be on the high side with a preponderance of the (lucky) digit 8. Home Depot sold several varieties of citrus in 2006 at very reasonable prices but have not done so since.

Which varieties are you hoping to find and/or trade for?

5. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

I'm looking for Calamodins, Kumquats, Budha's hand. I learned that I have nothing to trade LOL, since as I mentioned my two new meyer are too young for flowering. All citrus in Edmonton are over $35.00

I'm interested in other no citrus varieties like mango, guava and figs.

I go to Home Depot every now and then for other things and I have never seen indoor fruit trees. Same at Walmart.

6. Gregn

Gregn Active Member 10 Years

The last year Home Depot sold citrus trees - I bought 3 Meyer lemons, I have had them growing outside in the ground since then. They all have different growth patterns - which I find interesting. One likes to flower almost all year round but doesn't have growth flushes, the second one has grown about 15 inches in all directions and is now a nice bush. the 3rd is a combination of the above. I have a few nice lemons ready for harvest. ...I saw Meyer lemons this evening at Save on Foods (park and tilford) selling for $ 5.99 per lb. Perhaps there is a market for these fruit???
    Greg

7. Granrey

Granrey Active Member

Wow, Amazing you can have outdoor lemons in some parts of Canada.

Anyway, I'll check my closest save on foods, they might have too. Thanks for letting me know