My poor fiddle leaf fig

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by DiscoverEcology, Nov 6, 2008.

1. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=44525
    /\
    ||
    My first post.

I got this fig and it's leaves had brown spots on it and the ends were brown. I got it acclamated to my abode and after last week, when I didn't water it for 10+ days and the leaves started to curl, it's leaves have stayed green. But after last week, I learned this plant needs to be watered once a week.

My question is, since all but 10 leaves have fallen off even when green, what can I do? It's got stems now but few leaves. How can I promote new leaf growth?

I am ready to feed it but don't know how. I have to buy a soil meter to tell technically when to water it. I think once a week is good for this particular plant however.

The only concern is it may not be getting enough indoor light. It is in the living room with the picture window, but the blinds even when open all day hinder any direct light from hitting it.

Please help. I am ready to study and try experiments to become a botanist for this plant.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

Ok then. Well.......I'll update y'all anyway.

This plant is sprouting shoots for new leaf growth all over the place!

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

sorry! i missed your post from last week!

well, did you end up giving it some fert?? maybe it was in some kind of dormancy? or it might have just taken this long for it to get over the shock of all the changes and the issues with ike.

i'm glad you didn't give up on it!! and i'm really glad it rebounded!! they're beautiful plants!!

can you post some pics of it?

4. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Just before the beginning of summer I sometimes remove all of the leaves on my bonsai fiddle leaf figs (Ficus lyrata) to help promote new and smaller leaf growth. This works nicely for other ficus such as Moreton bay fig (Ficus macrophyla) as well. Good to hear that yours is doing nicely

5. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

Hi

I did no fertilizer. It was the shock I believe. I will post new photos since it's sprouting from everywhere~!

6. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

You need to practice moisture consistancy. Read up on food necessities, tolerances, and root control- being that it is an indoor plant. My question is how big this fig is? What is its maximum size long term, and where is it at its growth stage?

7. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

It is about 3' tall and I understand it can grow over 5'. I have placed it in the shower every Wednesday and it seems to tolerate this. Photo attached. Check out the sprout at the bottom of the trunk.

It had much wider leaves before it started dropping them (and was overwatered when I got it from the brown spots indication) than it does now. I guess it adapted to the new environment that way.

The root control I am watching, as I see some gaps in the edge of the pot now. So I will be filling that in with more soil.

Food necessities should be a good next step for me. Thanks.

Attached Files:

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

oh! that's looking pretty good!! i knew it would rebound for ya!!

if the soil is pulling away from the pot, then the soil is too dry. maybe you're not giving it enough water when you do water it? once a week should be plenty - just make sure the soil is moistened throughout.

9. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

Hi,

I was mistaken. upon closer examination it was the straw on top of the soil that had the appearance of pulling away from the edge. The soil underneath is level and well packed. I apologize, I should have posted this when I realized I wrote it a week ago.

New photos. It's sprouting from everywhere, even the trunk. If you look closely in the first photo a small sprout on the left side of the trunk is forming up near the top!

Thank you again for all your help. "I'll be back!!"

Attached Files:

10. Acoma

Acoma Active Member

Get a slightly larger container with some fresh soil. Give the roots some fresh access.

11. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

12. bertoli55

bertoli55 Active Member 10 Years

Hi, it's great that your plant is doing well. These trees grow really quite tall when grown in the ground in warm climates and can grow to ceiling height indoors. They can get a little straggly and need a prune to keep them bushy. It is worthwhile occasionally wiping the leaves with a damp cloth to get rid of dust. I stick my indoor plants under a gentle shower once in a while to give them a thorough soak and a good clean.

13. DiscoverEcology

DiscoverEcology Member

We are all better

Thanks all. I have no more concern about the well being of this fiddleleaf fig. I attach a few others recently acquired.

The suggestion about repotting I will procrastinate until a later time, but appreciate it a lot.

Again thank you!

Attached Files:

14. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Re: We are all better

Looking good!