Identification: Angelwing begonias

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by brownthumbexpert, Nov 19, 2008.

1. brownthumbexpert

brownthumbexpert Active Member

Can anyone help ID these angelwings? I have been trying for a while and have had no luck. Any help would be apprecaited...

Attached Files:

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Possibly Begonia maculata for the first one and Begonia lana for the second. I don't know about #3.

3. brownthumbexpert

I am not sure. These can be so hard to pin down. I am not sure because the lana seems to have more "stripes' than random dots.

4. wild-rose-43

Yea, I thought the same thing but if yours is an immature leaf it might display a different pattern. Often times plants immature leaves look nothing like the mature plant. I've only ever had one Angelwing and unfortunately I lost it. Hopefully someone else chimes in with more positive ID's for you.

5. brownthumbexpert

I didn't know that about leaves - thanks for that! I will write the name down, maybe by the time spring or summer comes, it will look different. What kind of angelwing did you have?

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

#2 could also be B. coccineum....

I grow a terribly large array of Begonias, including a number of the epiphytes, and I have given up even trying to ID many of them.

7. brownthumbexpert

I wasn't sure if I would get any responses. I know they can be a nightmare, if not impossible. Especially with awful pictures, haa haa. I really like to have my plants labeled as detailed as possible, but I guess that may not always be possible.

Love your username lorax!

8. wild-rose-43

Mine was a Begonia Corallina de Lucerna. It did very well but outgrew the location I had it in. When I moved it, it didn't do so well and eventually died.