In The Garden: What am I?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Donald King, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Donald King

Donald King Member

I have lost my tag and I no longer remember who I am. I am small, cute and hardy.

2. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Donald, we really need a lot more info than that, preferably a picture : )

Ed

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Must be REALLY small. No wonder the tag fell off.

4. Donald King

Donald King Member

I sent (tried, but failed) an attachment.

SORRY!!

5. Ron B

Well Don, it looks like you just aren't able to keep anything attached these days!

What type of magnolia is it, a star cultivar etc. or something evergreen?

6. Donald King

Donald King Member

Hope this is better.

Attached Files:

7. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Have a look here

Ed

8. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

A hardy Fuschia! One of the small ones. My guess

gb.

9. Donald King

Donald King Member

Re: What am I? Fuschia?

I may be wrong - obviously. But I do not think that it is a fuschia. The leaves are glossy and look a lot like ilex.

No Ron - it is not a new magnolia clone.

10. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Fuschia - Lottie's Hobby?

gb

11. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

dunno what it is - sure is purdy, though!! i'm sure someone will be able to figure out what it is - and then i'm adding it to my 'want list' !!

12. Donald King

Donald King Member

Very good gb. Originally, I thought that it was a fuschia, looked for it in one of my books and it did not contain this variety. So, I thought then, that with the ilex-like leaves that it must be something else. Well, you sure know your fuschias. As I mentioned earlier, it is a very cute little plant and is still full of bloom - about 24" wide x 18" in height.

Have you ever seen Desfontainia spinosa - looks like an inter-genus cross between ilex and Rhododendron cinnabarinum. Likewise, a very interesting, unique plant.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  13. Ron B

Donald Taylor nursery had it at Union Bay Place near University Village, back when the robusta magnolia was still there (lately it has been a stone yard). I grew it for awhile but it froze out or there was some other problem. Said to be good to about 10F.

I tried to contact you through this site awhile back but you didn't answer. I was the guy that used to be in the magnolia society, set up the 1980 Seattle meeting.

14. Donald King

Donald King Member

Re: Ron B. - Contact and Magnolias

Hi Ron -

Yes I answered. You are/were working with Jacobson (?) surveying magnolias in the Seattle area. It appeared that you were mostly interested in M. x soulangeana of which I do not have any. I have 40 - 50 varieties of magnolias of which about half are species including several of the newly defined evergreen species, some not of bloom size.

You are welcome to come visit any time that you wish.

15. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

...I had one -but it died. It grows as a shrub at Royal Rhodes on Vancouver Island.

gb

16. Ron B

OK Don, great. I never got your e-mail. There are various magnolias in Seattle that could use some identification work. You may have some of the new ones. Otherwise it's a problem of trying to name older saucer and southern clones that appear repeatedly yet can't be named using descriptions and photos available - same problem as with other groups like Lawson cypress where certain ones at least were clearly common at one time but are no longer in commerce, unable to be figured out using published information.

Don't remember the Desfontainea at Royal Roads. Maybe I saw it when I was there and then forgot about it. How big?

17. Donald King

Donald King Member

Re: Desfontainia

I originally saw it at the RSF. I have 2 - 1 in light shade and a new plant (from the RSF plant distribution) growing with more sun. I want to see if it can take more sun and bloom better. It is a slow grower. I have had my 1st plant for about 7 years - now about 2ft tall. Got it from Heronswood - remember them? :>(

I have never been to Royal Roads.

18. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

glass brain is definitely correct, it is a Fuchsia. It looks very like one we grow. If we have a mild winter it stays evergreen outside. Check out Fuchsia microphylla. It might also be Fuchsia thymifolia. I believe that F. Lottie Hobby has flowers which are 2 tone (red and pink). See....

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&sa=X
    Hope this helps.
    We also grow Desfontainia spinosa, many people mistake the leaves for holly.It needs acid soil. As Ron says you may find your winters are too cold.

Sorry about the spelling. I REALLY hate it when people mis-spell Fuchsia. Then darn me ,I have done it myself. Put it down to a senior moment!!!!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  19. Ron B

Supposed I believe to like the same combo of top in sun and roots in shade as eucryphias etc.

Given a sheltered position and half-shade this beautiful evergreen is hardy in the Home Counties

--Hillier Nurseries, The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (2002, David & Charles, Newton Abbot)

Generally seen as a small shrub in gardens where choice and tender plants thrive, it can make in time an immense bush, as at Rowallane, Northern Ireland. It is best in lime-free, humus-laden soil in sun

--Thomas, Ornamental Shrubs, Climbers and Bamboos (1992, Sagapress/Timber Press, Portland)

Hill/Narizny, The Plant Locator - Western Region (2004, Black-Eyed Susans Press/Timber Press, Portland) listed Bovees nursery, Cistus nursery, Gossler Farms and Heronswood as sources.

20. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Clarification, please. Fuchsia or Fuschia?

21. Ron B

Named after Fuchs.

22. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thanks, Ron. Good to know that my cat, Fuchsia, lived for 17 years with a correctly-spelled name.

23. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

togata... I know full well that it is Fuchsia... in a rush... I got it badly wrong!!!! Sorry.
    Post now corrected.

24. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Re: What am I? Fuchsia thymifolia

Flowers look like my plant which exactly matches the description and photos I found for Fuchsia thymifolia. It has little leaves with points like a tiny holly, evergreen but not shiny or prickly, and flat rather than cupped as holly leaves usually are. I've had mine for about 6 years and it grows to about 2.5' tall and is still blooming beautifully in mid-November. I prune it a bit every year and in a hard winter it died back nearly to the ground but came back no problem. My location is quite shady with very poor drainage, so it is naturally soggy except in summer when I keep it watered. I recently gave someone cuttings and they rooted easily.