Check out my begonias

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Chester, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Thought I'd share some pics of my begonias. They grew like crazy this season, B. masoniana leaf size is huge for home-grown. Wish we had a foliage begonias selection like the U.S...I love begonias.

Dang! They didn't make it, I'll try again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Your love is obvious, and I think the feeling is mutual! Gorgeous. Thanks for letting us see these beauties!
    So tell us: how do you do it?

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Yes, I'd like to know too. They all look great together. I don't see any brown edges. Are they kept inside the house? Greenhouse? Very nice healthy looking plants!

4. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Very nice mate, love the contrast

Ed

5. Chester

They are grown in the home. I'm in Victoria, B.C. so the humidity is quite high (at times). I have them in a NW window. They are sure loving this newer location. Used to have them individually in the kitch, and they were just alright. Planted 'em together (wasn't too sure how that was gonna work) and voila! Thanks for the nice comments.

6. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Beautiful!

7. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Thanks for sharing your plants with us. They are really lovely.

8. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Gorgeous! They look really well looked after! Well done!

The house I'm in now I've been in for about 4 months and there are a few 1 ft planters outside left by the people who were there before us and I noticed a single pink begonia (well at least I think that's what it is!) flower in one of them - who'd have thought in the middle of an English winter! Will try and snap a picture tomorrow when its not dark:)

9. Chester

Thanks JenRi. Lots of foliage begonias available to you that I can only dream about. Send me some pics if you find that's where your interest goes. Don't forget societies!

10. soccerdad

soccerdad Active Member 10 Years

I have seen foliage begonias in books and admired them. Chester, did you grow them from seed and if so where did you get the seeds?

11. Chester

No, not from seeds. Bought the plants as four-inchers. They are all rather rare in Canada, but scooped them all up (a few years apart mind you) from Walmart, Superstore - the big boxers. Those guys are able to bring up plants from the US where all manner of begonias are available. Big sigh...now where was I? Oh ya, lots of begonia rex x cultorums are available here though if you like the fancy leaf begonias. Don't know about seed, but I know these foliar begonias are relatively easy to propagate from leaves and rhizome cuttings. I have to do this every year or so as they get leggy.