Mulch

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by hennhouse79, Nov 11, 2008.

1. hennhouse79

hennhouse79 Member

I have the understanding that mulch should be placed around the base of the stem of plants, shrub, trees....correct? Not directly close to the base.... right?

My supplier delivered way too much mulch and so when my landscaper put my plants in....I am wondering if they put the mulch too high up on my Fat Albert spruces just to utilize the extra mulch. Could this cause root rot later on? Should I pull it away from the trunks and the bases of the other plants? (Azaleas, carpet roses, gold mops....)

Help with some suggestions/input please.
    Thanks!!!!!

2. kome

kome Active Member

depend on different material, usually covered with 3 inches thickness for flower bed.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If herbaceous plants (flowers) close together won't be possible to use 3" depth without it burying them. Keep mulch well away from the crowns of all plants except under specific special circumstances like deep planting of clematis. Allow for settling and movement to the side caused by animals and human foot traffic. A tree may need an area free of mulch some feet across. This may seem to contradict the protection provided by mulching but mulch (or soil) burying the crowns of some kinds of trees and shrubs can be quite detrimental.

4. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

I was under the impression that it was the humidity against the trunk of trees that was the problem. If you use soaker hoses for watering the mulch can stay dry close to the base of the plant.

5. hennhouse79

hennhouse79 Member

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your suggestions. :)