Magnolia 'Wildcat' mature size and growth rate

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by Poetry to Burn, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Poetry to Burn

Poetry to Burn Active Member

Is any one growing this plant? I have a 5 gal that I'd like to get in the ground in the next few days. Concerned about placement without info on ultimate size.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Although it could grow faster later at 5 gallon size plant may be big enough to get some idea of typical growth rate. Hardiness zone indications should be available from commercial sources if nowhere else - since you bought it somewhere presumably some information is available from the place you got it. If they have no clue maybe you can find out where they got it, if it was purchased from a wholesale grower. The grower might have a web site with more details about the tree or a print catalog on file at a library within driving distance - libraries with a horticultural focus as all or part of their mission maintain files of nursery catalogs.

3. scross1

scross1 Active Member

Wildcat is a cross between M. kobus var borealis and m stellata. kobus can be upwards of 40' so I would make sure it had enough room for that.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

In other words a Loebner magnolia. These tend to become large shrubs or small trees.

5. Poetry to Burn

I did find some info.

This plant was introduced only about 10 years ago. I checked with Dick Figlar who has a 10 year old plant. After 10 years his tree is 6' tall. Dick says 'Wildcat' will "most likely be a smaller, stellata-like, growing cultivar".

My question still stands: Is anyone here growing this plant?

6. scross1

scross1 Active Member

I am currently growing this here just outside of Trenton, NJ. I have only had it for 2 years and it is 3 feet tall. I have it in filtered sun throughout the day and it seems to be doing great.

7. Poetry to Burn

Thank you scross. Any flower or flower buds so far?

I planted 'Wildcat' in West Cape May NJ, it's in a bright exposed spot. Dick Figlar indicated that full sun would suit it.

8. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

Mr Larry Langford who selected this cross provided Mr Eisenhut of Switzerland with scions. I got the very first plant of 'Wildcat' in Europe from Mr Eisenhut. I have later spread material in Europe.
    My plants of 'Wildcat' are gorgeous. In our cool climate this cultivar has a pure white flower with a perfect form. It grows like a M. x loebneri. One of the best!

9. Poetry to Burn

Hey Olav!

Could you post a photo of your 'Wildcats'?

Gil

10. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

11. Poetry to Burn

Thanks Olav. It's a magnificent flower. Have you a photo that shows the form of the plant?

The flower is as lovely as Magnolia X loebneri 'Pirouette' a plant that seems to be unavailable in the US.

12. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

I'll try to ask the "creator" of 'Wildcat to post a photo of the mother plant. Why don't you join our international magnolia group at yahoo?
    Sincerely, Olav.

13. Poetry to Burn

Olav,

Of course I'm a member at Yahoo. I also had an early graft of 'Ashild Kalleberg'.

I can check with Larry or Dick myself.

Many thanks.

Gil

14. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

Hi
    Larry wrote:
    My original tree is no more than 10 feet (3 meters?). It is smaller than any of its siblings, one of which is easily 18-20 feet tall. I think it will grow more like a stellata than a typical loebneri.

Larry

15. Poetry to Burn

Thanks so much Olav. Larry pretty much echoes dick Figlar's estimation.

The tree I have is now planted in a fairly exposed, full sun location in Z7. It's a 2 -3yr rooted cutting. It grew very steadily in the pot, the roots too were surprisingly robust. I wanted to be well advised on placing the tree.

I'll post a pic this summer if it sizes up at all.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  16. Poetry to Burn

2 years later ..... this tree is still no more than 3x3' but it is loaded with flower buds. Very psyched to see the bloom this spring!

17. magnolavastic

magnolavastic Member

I have got a plant on own roots, too. This one grows faster, but the old graft grows slowly. It is 2-3 ft. after 5-6 years. I wonder how one can "create" a 'Wildcat' with deep red flowers? First 'Wildcat' should be crossed with 'Genie' or 'Black Tulip' to see if the very multitepaled flower would continue. I reckon some color will be the result.
    There are several pink M. stellata cultivars, but no red one I think. There are no red M. x loebneri. How can it be done?