Identification: new 'shrooms unknown

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Butch, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Butch

Butch Member

Found these growing in my front yard mostly in pine straw. the caps are about the size of a quarter to a 50 cents piece. Anyone know the identification? There's bunches of them!

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

3. Butch

Butch Member

oh yeah..thanks...I'll sit and go through all 700 links...thanks for the help

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Hey Butch,

A lot of folks are asking for IDs on LBMs or little brown mushrooms. Probably most of them are hoping to have found Magic Mushrooms. There are a lot of look-alike mushrooms that are deadly, so you'll have to cut folks some slack if they don't want to be part of the opinions that get the things put in someone's mouth.

For my part, I wouldn't mind finding some magics, but I've never been confident enough about my LBM finds to eat one.

To quote Clint Eastwood, "Do you feel lucky ?"

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  5. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

They don't look like any magic mushroom that I know, but it does ring a distant bell. Perhaps gymnopus or marasmius.

I KNOW I've seen this mushroom, and it's bugging me that I can't retrieve it from my memory.

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Good call Stilbella - Now that you mention it, they do look very Gymnopus/Collybia or Marasmioid. Looks white-spored somehow. I bet the tough stalk (unless is just dried out?) and terrestrial habit will be the things that sort out what it is.
    I can't get Matchmaker to launch today otherwise I'd give that a whirl for sorting this out.

7. Butch

Butch Member

I'd say that Gymnopus is a close match taking in account the terrain, (pine & decaying matter, at woods edge-not growing in grass). Although there are some rather distinct differences. The caps were dry,slick but not sticky or slimy. The stalk is the kicker...looking like Velvet foot, purplish with hairs, thin and slender, somewhat brittle. Dispersed and random. No vail.
    This one has me stumped!!!