Acer palmatum 'Sister Ghost'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mjh1676, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mjh1676

mjh1676 Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

"A fabulous plant, with light yellow green leaves strongly veined in green (reticulated). Leaves have more divisions than in the other of the Ghost series." One of the trees in the 'Ghost' series introduced by Talon Buchholz of Buchholz and Buchholz Nursery, 'Sister Ghost' is one of the most ouststanding of the group closely related to the 'shigitatsu sawa' cultivars.
    The tree below is a first year graft from Collector's Nursery in Battle Ground, Washington. Pictures taken in August '04 of mature summer growth and new summer growth.

Attached Files:

2. mjh1676

Just an update from spring 2005. This tree of the Ghost series seems very stable and its spring growth very typical of the cultivar. It is not terribly distinguished in any way, but a nice tree.

Attached Files:

3. I am just a little curious.You dont seem very happy with this maple.Why is that or am i wrong?
    Can you tell me a little more about this maple.I have planted "first Ghost" last autumn and i am now enjoying the new (very new) growth.Are this acers more or less the same considering the growth habbit?
    Do this cultivar (yours that is) posess any autumn color ?
    Thanks in advance,

Louis Patrick
    Belgium

4. mjh1676

Hi Patrick:

It is too soon to say for sure. Mine is now a 3rd year graft and in a pot. As for Ghosts, I have Sister, First, Amber, Purple, and Grandma. All are in pots, but my Sister and First are the oldest and from the same grower.

I am not dissappointed, but I do like maples that have a standout time or season, this being a matter of opinion. Sister is pale greenihsh yellow in the spring with not hint of red or pink. The reticulation shows up later where it becomes much like Shigitatsu sawa in color, but not as defined in my opinion. As you can see the summer growth can be a little atypical on vigorous chutes, but if typical, it can be tinged a pinkish color. In fall it is a relatively bright yellow, but since the leaves are so thin, they dry up at the fist sign of frost. It is not spectacular or long-lived. All of this contributes to my opinion that it might be a good soild maple, but not really standout in any way.

It has a nice leaf shape for its coloration, but as of now, tt is not at the top of my list. Actually, my First Ghost has many similarities with Peaches and Cream this year. A cream colored leaf with pointed lobes tinged in pink. Again, not different enough to write home about.

I have talked with a grower who feels that some of the Ghosts might end up being more reliable replacments for maples that have been troublesome like Peaches, but it is too early to tell. We can only monitor these trees to find out how they will grow over time. We just don't have the specimens to look at yet.

There are still more Ghosts in the works, but for now, I really like Grandma, Purple and Amber, the latter two being the more red colored of the group. I'll get some more photos posted and maybe there can be further discussion.

The problem is that in my case I am writing an opinion on 2-3 year old veriegated maples--this young, they can do many things. They already look different than they did last year and mine being in a pot vs. the ground can be a factor.

Hope that helps.
    Michael

5. Hi Michael..

Yes it does help indeed.Since i live in Belgium i can order most of the maple you've mentioned throught nursery Esveld,Holland.Their stock is very diverse.I did bought "first ghost" from them but to my opinion the growth is very very slow.The first leaves came out quickly enough that is not the problem.The problem is that the plant seems ,well fragile to me.The leaves are indeed like you have mentioned very thin and the color in spring is somewhat different than i thought it would be.It is more on the yellow side and i thought that i would be more white because that is why i did plant it in my white border.I hope the color will change though or i have to replant it.Maybe this is an effect due to too much sunlight...i dont know.I have a maple called "ariadne" that is way more exiting.The colors keep changing from red to white but with little fall color to speak of.For now that is.
    I am curious about that maple called "amber"you mentioned though....

Thanks for your very good explination and i aplogize for the late reply (computer crashed several times) and i hope that my english isn't too bad :-)..

Best of regards ,

Patrick

6. mjh1676

Hi Patrick,

I posted some updated photos of First Ghost in another thread in the gallery. I have the opposit happening with Sister and First. The Sister is losing some of the reticulation and I am seeing a yellow-green color, but not much white. On the other hand, the First Ghost is developing some very strong white and green distinctions on the level of Shigitatsu sawa. So if you have the right tree for First Ghost, you might be in good shape once it settles down.

I also started a thread for Amber Ghost.
    Best regards,
    Michael

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  7. krautz33

krautz33 Active Member 10 Years

Great tree. I love this ones shape

Attached Files:

8. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

I'm loking to add this speciman to my collection, but living here in the northeast, it is difficult to find nurseries willing to sell at a reasonable price. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks.

9. mapleman77

mapleman77 Active Member

Hi there,

I would definitely recommend Eastfork Nursery (www.eastforknursery.com). Sam sells me the best plants that I have ever received and she is nice, gracious, and helpful. She'll also give you tips on how to grow your trees. If you want japanese maples, then I'd say that would be the place to go. Also she gets her plants directly from Talon Buchholz (the originator of the entire Ghost series) so you really know that you're getting the right plant (I know that there has been some significant controversy of the legitimacy of these cultivars). Overall my favorite nursery to order from and once you do, it will be yours!

Hope that helps,
    David

10. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Sister ghost hasn't proved extraordinary for me compared to the other paler colored reticulates in my short time with it, but I am now experiencing a wonderful fall color and am curious if anyone else has seen this. My tree is still small so I'm not sure how consistent this is, but it has definitely been my favorite reticulate this fall.

Attached Files:

11. Jalf

Jalf Active Member Maple Society

I wish I knew how to upload a photo because my 'Sister Ghost' was very pretty this fall. Sadly, the leaves have already fallen here in New England......it's a long time until Spring!

12. paxi

paxi Active Member

well my little gal has been with me just a few weeks, but happy so far

Attached Files:

• sg1.jpg
      sg1.jpg
      File size:
      286.8 KB
      Views:
    • sg2.jpg
      sg2.jpg
      File size:
      184.6 KB
      Views:
  13. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

May 2008, May 2009

Attached Files:

14. paxi

paxi Active Member

I think this plant has excellent 3 season interest.

Attached Files:

15. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I find this to have one of the better white/green leaves. The tree is a winner in shady places. It handled this spring better than First Ghost. It does have a bit of a more difficult growing habit which requires a little more attention.

Attached Files:

16. amazingmaples

Sister Ghost gets a lot of nice comments from people who see it but at the same time not many people take one home. I find it to be one of my favorite of the Ghost series.

Attached Files:

17. mattlwfowler

mattlwfowler Active Member Maple Society

Its my favorite of the ghost I think...although Amber is nice and Purple has its own interest. Gold reticulated is the only reticulated maple I have that holds its reticulation better than Sister ghost. It may be my favorite of the entire bunch, but it has proven to be difficult to propagate for me unfortunately.

On a side note the picture I posted above is not Sister ghost. It was mislabeled upon purchase, but I now have it straight. It appears to be one form of peaches and cream.

18. amazingmaples

Here is the fall color of 2011

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is our 'Sister Ghost' in early spring. Tolerates morning sun, but needs shade by early afternoon at the latest in my area. This and Amber Ghost are my favorites out of the Ghost series. But Amber Ghost takes the prize for it's seasonal interest and versatility in ability to adapt to a wider variety of lighting conditions, where Sister Ghost only shines in Spring then Fall and can't tolerate afternoon sun.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum ' Sister ghost' is without doubt IMO the brightest green of all the Ghost series. I will let the photos of mine do the talking.

Attached Files:

21. Acerholic

Days of very drying winds, followed by heavy rain and this one in my garden is still as fresh as a daisy. Photos 10th July 2020.
    Again as with a lot of mine, it is protected from afternoon sun

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Nearly one month on from my last photos and this is my Sistet ghost on the 5th August 2020, the leaves are looking as if they have just leafed out. So fresh!!
    I will update the thread as requested after the heat wave this week.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

28th August 2020 and the ground is incredibly wet for the time of year. Just had more hail stones and my maples that are heavy in leaf do not like it one bit.
    Nearly September and the Spring greens on my Sister ghost are still there as fresh as ever.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    My favourite in my garden today. Yes the greens have to get a look in sometimes in a maple garden. Lol.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.