Identification: What is it?

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by tlfouhar, Apr 9, 2006.

1. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

I found this shelf mushroom on a dead log. Some were flat and others were stacked-like on top of each other. They were tan with concentric rings and a brown velvety spot on the top. They were large 5cm-12cm. My guess was an Inonotus species, but just not sure. Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

Do you know the species of the tree/log?

3. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

The log was deteriorated, but it had fairly smooth bark. There are lots of beech trees and conifers in the area. I forgot the cardinal rule...noting the substrate! At first I thought it was a Phaeolus schweinitzii, but the color seems all wrong and it keyed out to Inonotus tomentous in Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora. I do think it over-wintered rather then being a fresh fungus. It didn't stain when handled and it is rather corky.

4. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

It is rather odd isn't it? I know that we usually associate Laetiporus sulphureus with the bright yellows and oranges, but the zones/rings and fleshy appearence brought it to mind. If we think of it as one that got started in a poor location for growing the more typical shelves due to it's poor choice in orientation (hey, it happens! <g>) AND unusual colors as well, then just maybe.....

Here's a couple of pics I ran into looking for variations and they are reminiscent.

http://www.pilzepilze.de/piga/zeige.htm?name=mehr&pilz=laetiporus_sulphureus&nr=0

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/photos/Laetiporus_sulphureus(fs).jpg

This may very well be wrong, but i can't think of anything that resembles your pic, and due that pinky-flesh color and strong zones or color bands, I'm sure I'd remember seeing even a picture of something like this /IF/ this were its usual appearance.

5. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

Thanks Mycos for the suggestion. It doesn't seem to fit the Laetiporus family. I will have to take it to the next MMA meeting and hopefully someone can ID it there.

6. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

After two years I finally found my way back to this site... after a computer crash and loosing my "favorites" list. I sent this fungus to Ed Bosman, who was a mycologist with COMA. He has recently passed away. Ed identified this fungus as a Fomes fomentarius. He said the reason it looks "funny" is because the fungus was on a downed tree (birch) on a hiking trail, and it was being moved around so the fungus was reorienting itself so the pores would be down.

7. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Ahhh! Given the flat, crustose-like growth pattern, that never would have occurred to me. But if the log has been getting rolled around fairly regularly, I guess it does makes some sense. Heh! How odd... Almost has a certain artistic appeal, an aesthetic of the sort that someone with the patience to cultivate Bonsai trees might appreciate. :-)

8. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

So that's what it is. It made a delicious tea (I think). Well, it didn't kill me. LOL

You can make felt hats and fabrics from the fluff you get when you pound it. (Or start a campfire.)

9. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

I found a downed birch tree growing several nice little F. fomentarius so I decided to make it an experiment and see if I can make it "reorient" itself. I rolled the long over and I am going to keep a weekly check on it and see what happens to it.

10. Mycos

Mycos Active Member

Great! Let us know what happens, okay?

11. tlfouhar

tlfouhar Member

Yes, I will.