Identification: Forest Mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by fish dr, Nov 3, 2008.

1. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know Blewits (Clitocybe nuda) very well, but this does sorta look like one. I have seen them being more brownish than blue before.

3. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

That's what I think it is, too, having just found a huge patch of them about a week ago.

4. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

I've found blewits twice before. THe last time was a few days ago. They're very rubbery and these aren't. They are otherwise similar though.

Do blewits get as big as this ? Do they get maggotty ?

Thanks for your ideas.

5. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

The blewits we found a week and a half ago were anywhere from three to six inches across, so yeah, they can get pretty big. I don't remember if they were rubbery, though,because, well, it was a week and a half ago.

As for maggots, blewits tend to be pretty resistant to them, mainly because they usually grow late in the season when there aren't so many insects around. But this year in southern BC we've had a pretty mild fall, with no really hard frost yet, so the bugs are probably still out doing their reproductive thing.

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Good call guys. (At least I think you're guys.)

I went back to where I saw (three weeks ago) what I knew were blewits. The maggots had gone through them and they were exactly similar to the state of the older of the two flushes that were in the woods.

Kudos!