Nice photos of slime molds

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by allelopath, Oct 14, 2008.

1. allelopath

allelopath Well-Known Member 10 Years

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Incredibly beautiful photographs!

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Those are beautiful. Hooray, fungus!

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Wow! Can you tell us the story behind these amazing images allelopath? Who, what, where, when?

Makes me embarassed to continue fiddling with my macro setting.

gb

6. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for sharing that - wonderful photos!

7. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

Slime moulds are my very favourites...thanks for sharing.

8. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

I am so pleased that I stumbled onto this thread. Thank you, absolutely amazing. Ain't nature wonderful!

9. miss_myxomycete

miss_myxomycete Active Member 10 Years

OMG, these are jaw droppingly sublime. Thank you so much for posting these!

10. mywan

mywan Active Member

11. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

Now those photos were actually pretty kool. I'm not a mold fan living here in Sweden because I'm extremely allergic to it and get sick within hours of exposure. These photos look like vegetation from some alien world.

Thanks for sharing.

12. anza

anza Active Member 10 Years

The interesting note with this study is that it really illustrates how all organisms (Well, In our interest here = Plants) have the ability to adapt to any environment or set of unusual circumstances encountered. Although not having a brain, it does show that built into the system of it's DNA is a mechanism for adapting or reacting to any environmental conditions encountered. This particular test of cold reminds me of my acreage in Anza, California at about 4,600 feet elevation. I spent 24 years collecting various plants specimens from around the southwest. I had a grey water outlet from my home that went into a dry wash. I wanted to transform it into a lush vegetative area with typical riparian plants.

I collected some White Alder (Alnus rhombifolia) saplings from an area of Fern Valley in Idyllwild , California from a friend's place. The area is just about 6000 feet elevation. We had many wet winters and summers back then in the early & middle 1980s and the saplings were everywhere. They grew fast of course and I realize I wanted to plant more. Rather than going back to the Idyllwild location, I went south from Anza to an area called Warner Hot Springs at about 2500 foot elevation. The Hwy 79 crossed over the Warner Creek where I had seen many, many saplings in the past. Mind you, both sets of plants were collected during their dormancy. They also did very well with extremely fast growth.

It was not until a couple years later that I realized the plants collected at the 2500' elevation from Warner Hot Springs leafed out in early March as opposed to those collected in Idyllwild at the 6000' elevation where they did'nt put forth leaves until early May. Both had adapted themselves to the difference in winter temperatures of their differing environs.

In the case of the mold, it's not so much brain memory as it is a programmed reaction built into it's survival informational program. If such a mechanism were not in place, then many organisms would simply have died off outside of a particular prefered set of evironmental ecosystem conditions.

Thanks for sharing.

13. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Those pictures are so neat, i have never seen anything like them before.

14. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Oh WOW! Thanx so much for the 'bump' on this set of images...I was only able to view 17 of them but even those left me wishing for TONS more! A favorite subject of mine to photograph for sure.
    The dog vomit, stemenitis, pretzel...they are all amazing images!