meyer lemons

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Dinamo, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Dinamo

Dinamo Member

I have a meyer lemon in a pot on the north side of my house. It was
    covered with flowers and little lemons when I bought it. I have picked
    the lemons which were delicious!!! Now the leaves are yellowing and
    looking droopy. Too much water? Too little water? Should I fertilize
    this early in Nov?
    Hoping for some expert advice.
    Dinamo

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Need more info on watering to provide any reasonable advice--soil type, water frequency ect. As for fertilizer---NO-- not between the first of Sept and mid Jan at the earliest.

3. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Skeet is right, more info is needed. As for fertilizer, its a question of preference. My citrus will grow during winter, so I am giving fertilizer at a third the regular strength every two weeks, instead of the usual half strength every 2 weeks.

One problem might be the north-facing position. Citrus need sun, sun and more sun, and this is best provided at a southern exposure.

4. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Actually, whether you should fertilizer the tree during the winter months, all depends on how you are going to grow the plant. If the tree is going to be placed in a sunny and warm location throughout the winter, then yes you should fertilize it. If the tree is going to be grown in a more or less dormant state until spring, then I would not fertilize it. - Millet

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I missed the fact that the tree was a container tree. If it will be brought inside to protect it from cold, it is OK to fertilize at a reduced rate in winter as Millet said.

I would not move it to a sunny location for winter unless the soil in the container will be warmer than 65 F (soil temp--not just room temp--soil is often cooler than room temp). Exposure to direct sun while the roots are cool can cause significant leaf drop.

Citrus do not need full sun, although they do tolerate full sun. Their photosynthesis rate is at it's maximum with about 1/3 full sun.