? about my fuscia plant

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by mkk, Nov 1, 2008.

1. mkk

mkk Active Member

I have a beautiful fuscia plant outside and it is doing well. I have a question about it having berries?. It is fall now and it is still blooming but what are those berries on it?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

The berries are a natural consequence of it having had flowers and attracted some kind of pollinator. They're most likely edible once they ripen up; I'd have to see a picture of your Fuchsias to tell you for sure. Certainly, eating them won't kill you.

3. mkk

mkk Active Member

Thanks, but could I use them for seeds? Could I just plant this fuscia in the ground for the winter?

4. lorax

Depends. Where in the US are you? If your winter involves snow and ice and generally sub-zero temps, then you can't just plant it out, the freeze will kill the seed. However, if you're in Florida or one of the Southern states that doesn't normally freeze, plant away. Then again, if you're in a state that doesn't freeze, you Fuchsia is perennial. They're only annuals in places that go below 0 centigrade. (I live in the native range of Fuchsias, and wild ones survive even light frost on the paramos here)

If there are berries, there are generally viable seeds inside them...

5. mkk

mkk Active Member

I live in North Carolina and this weather is goofy. Sometimes it snows about a 1/4" and sometimes it doesn't do anything except ice and slush. I love fuscias and really don't want them to die. We have already had frost at night but it is still getting up to 60 in the day time. Would my fuscia make it if I covered it on really bad nights? could I try planting one of those berries when I put my fuscia in the ground just to make double sure it will come up next year?

6. lorax

That's probably your best bet, short of bringing it indoors for the winter. Mulch it in heavy and see what happens!

7. mkk

mkk Active Member

Thanks lorax I thought I could count on you to help me with the fuscias.