Identification: What ae these guys? Help me save them!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by frauleinlayla, Oct 24, 2008.

1. frauleinlayla

frauleinlayla Active Member

I need help on two different cases. Here's the first:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3174/2971144224_a8299ed80f.jpg?v=0
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3214/2971139290_73949055d5.jpg?v=0

I've had these plants for almost a year now, and I have no idea what they are. The first picture is of how they looked when I first got them, the second picture is of how they look right now. They have generally not been very happy at all. I can't figure out how much to water it... over summer it was drying out like crazy, and more recently the indivitual, thin stalks have been rotting from the bottom up (overwatering, I suppose). However, they've been constantly making new stalks, so they never die. I know it's not the season for re-potting, but it was sink or swim with these guys, so the second picture shows them in their new home. When I repotted, I got rid of TONS of old roots from the dead stems... could could it be that they didn't have enough space and that's why they're growing so spindly and thin? I would love to know how to care for them. They seem to be doing not so bad right now. How can I help it grow wider?

Secondly, I got a tiny cutting that broke off from a friend's plant. I put it in water, whee it rooted and grew well for the past few months. Since I was re-potting the othe plants today, I finally gave this one a home. Only... what is it?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3249/2970296681_25e7579517.jpg?v=0

Any help is greatly appeciated!

2. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Your first plant is a Dieffenbachia and it looks like it might be suffering from improper lighting. They require bright filtered light all year with some direct sun during the winter months. They will rot if overwatered, they require moderate watering. Wet the entire mixture then let the top inch of soil dry out before watering again. Make sure your pot has adequate drainage, never let the roots stand in water. To make your plant appear fuller you can cut the tops off, root them and replant them in the same pot. The leftover stems will grow new leaves also. This is best done in the spring. One other thing, the sap of Dieffenbachia is toxic. If it gets in your mouth it can cause swelling, pain, and a temporary loss of speech. This is why it is often referred to as a Dumb Cane.

Your other plant looks familiar but I can't quite place it...possibly a peperomia??

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

(Nematanthus) Goldfish plant?

4. frauleinlayla

Thanks!! I do think the first is a Dieffenbachia, and I guess I've been overwatering it and not giving it enough light.

The second one... I still don't know. The original plant (with older, slightly bigger leaves) had some slight purplish variegation if I remember corrrectly... does that speak for Goldfish plant? If it does, yay!

Just read up a bit on Goldfish Plants, and it seems like it blooms a lot. I don't think this one's ever bloomed in... maybe two years that I've seen it?

5. Bluewing

Another possibility since you mentioned that the leaves from the mother plant were larger, try looking up, Aeschynanthus- lipstick plant

6. namawa

namawa Active Member

I agree w/Bluewing that the third plant looks like a Nematanthus....there are a few cultivars with some mottling under the leaves if grown in good light.
    Yours simply doesn't look mature enough to bloom....give it time!

7. frauleinlayla

Namawa, I meant the mother plant that this one came from. I know my guy is way too little to bloom.

Since it only has those two stalks, how can I achieve a bushier plant? And help would be greatly appreciated!

8. Bluewing

You can make the plant bushier by takinging stem cuttings and rooting them back into the same pot, best done in spring.

9. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Where is a Nematanthus usually sold? I've been hunting this one down and havent found it yet. =o( What season do you think they're sold around??

*moonlitpath*

10. Bluewing

11. moonlitpath

moonlitpath Active Member

Thank you so much Bluewing!! I just love this website! I just bought 5 new plants. lol I've been looking around for a long time for a few plants on my must have list and found mostly all of them on here.

*moonlitpath*