Identification: Fungi, Lichen, Mould...or...???

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Oct 28, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I've been keeping an eye on this interesting stuff....about 2 weeks now. The orange tone is getting brighter now, maybe because no more leaves are in the trees to hide the sunlight?
    I've no idea what this is. I didn't see it on any surrounding trees or anything else for that matter. The tree looks to be dead...I don't recall any leaves on it and it plays host to wild grape vines and poison ivy. Species of tree unknown but many elm in this area.
    For some reason this particular find gives me the heeby-jeebies...normally I dont' mind touching something in the wild but this for some reason makes me leary of doing so. I poked it with a stick (it didn't yell) and it seems almost rubbery. We've had rain in the last few days since I last looked at it....these images were taken today. It seems to have spread up the tree more.
    I can't find any sort of fruiting bodies...no sort of way for it to BE traveling? It also seems to be pealing the bark off the tree.
    Any ideas would be great.
    NE Kansas near a creek bed.

Attached Files:

2. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

Interesting stuff. I've been photographing lichens and fungi @ Osage Nature Trail in Harvey Cnty for a number of years now and have quite a few amazing pix.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

An awesome little spot! My bf lives only about a mile from it. I've been visiting it just this last summer myself. Have a place where u've posted any of the images?

4. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

Not exactly. Do you have suggestions as to where i should post them? Here? Flickr? Elsewhere?
    Who lives nearby...I might know them. John Torline is a friend of mine and lives just around the corner. Dave

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

If they're mushrooms, fungi or plants...there's severa different kinds of forums here on the UBC that are great for posting those images...I share the majority of my work on deviantArt.....easy to view without waiting for uploads when visiting people's work there. Here at least people can give you ID's or great feedback.
    His last name is Jarrell.....
    Have you gotten any images of those great danes that live across from the trails? We were leaving one day and one, a huge gray beauty, was just standing there by the Duck Crossing sign. Very polite....and intimidating in a doggy sort of way.

6. DWelfelt

DWelfelt Member

I saw the great danes Sunday morning, along with the rest of the animals there...donkeys, goats, fowl of all kinds and a flock of wild turkeys. No mushrooms @ Osage on Sunday...it has been dry for a time. We may get rain this week and I'll be back out there Sat or Sun.

7. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I'm praying for rain here....Thur/Frid expected along with cooler temps.
    Love the danes.......and their friends.
    I've seen some beautiful Ramaria and different conks and polypores in the wooded areas there...never got a chance to see how spring looks there yet though. Good luck with this fall and winter.
    Lots of Winter Mushrooms and Chanterelles here still.....and I've heard mid-way between us that Chickens and Hericium are still being found.