Aloe Vera Plant

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by 78651194, Oct 18, 2008.

1. 78651194

78651194 Member

Until today I had a very healty aloe vera plant. I noticed a limb had fallen off (still healthy) When I touched it, the entire plant came out of the soil. The part of the plant closest to the soil was very gooey. The plant fell off in my hands and left nothing but a worm like thing where the plant was. The plant is still healthy, just unattached to the soil. HELP

2. mkk

mkk Active Member

I have had a lot of Aloe Vera and they have never come away from the soil like that. I put mine out in the summer, they go kind of brown then come back green with lots of new ones.
    Anyone want an Aloe Vera?

3. 78651194

78651194 Member

Can it be re-potted? HOW?

4. acphm

acphm Member

When you say 'worm-like thing' , is it soft and squishy or firm like a branch? I have an aloe plant that like to branch out, so it'll grow horizontally a long slender branch then sprout leaves. If that's what you have then you can just repot it in new soil. Sounds like you just overwatered it. Remember, Aloe is like a cactus. It doesn't need frequent watering, especially in cool weather. Just repot what you have in new, dry soil and make sure there's vermiculite (those white rock pellets) mixed in for drainage. It should recover.

5. 78651194

78651194 Member

Soft & squishy. I water about every 6 weeks. It still has roots in the soil. Soil is very dry.

6. acphm

acphm Member

Then it sounds like that was a root that rotted. If you still have healthy roots, are they in that the same area?

7. 78651194

78651194 Member

They look healthy and Yes they are in the same place. Do I need to repot? Thanks for all your help. This plant was given to me and I'm just not familiar with them.