growing fennel

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by neema, Apr 26, 2005.

1. neema

neema Member

I was reading about fennel and how it shouldn't be planted near other plants as it discourages growth, in particular near tomatoes and beans as it can stop their flowering. Was wondering if anyone has experience with this? Another book I read, about french kitchen gardens, showed the fennel growing amidst all the other vegetables (including the tomatoes!), so by now I'm quite confused.

Having just finished moving an older fennel plant and planting new seeds, a few feet from where the fava beans are now sprouting, i'm wondering what other's experiences have been.

Thanks!

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have grown fennel and did not notice any problem with other plants growing around it. I grew mostly other herbs and flowers near it, no veggies. I had never heard of this. Now I am curious as well.

3. No, I haven't noticed anything either. My fennel is in the middle of my herb garden. It doesn't seem to affect the other plants at all.

4. Lavender

Lavender Member

I haven't noticed any problems either. My fennel is in the middle of my herb garden.

5. SRTech

SRTech Member

I have never heard that before either. I have heard though, you have to be carefull that there is no dill growing in the area, because of cross-pollenation issues. At least that is what I have heard.

6. The only trouble I've had with fennel and other plants is that it tends to seed itself very well and crowds out other plants. If you don't take care to remove the seed heads, you may find yourself with a fennel forest in a couple of years.