Identification: My Second pix of plant for identification

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Jam, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Jam

Jam Member

I would really like to know the name and type of this plant. I've had it for over ten years, but has never flowered. It is appears to be very healthy and has given me many shoots.
    Thanks-
    J
    mystery plant 3.jpg

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

3. Jam

Jam Member

wonderful
    now i can research Sansevieria trifasciata. Hopefully I can do s'thing different to help it bloom.

Thank you.
    I am very happy,
    J

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Sansevieria trifasciata 'Hahnii', commonly called the "Bird's Nest Snakeplant'.

This dwarf cultivar is notorious for rarely blooming. So, don't get your hopes up expecting it to do so unless you can grow it outdoors in Florida or Hawaii.

5. Jam

Jam Member

After 10 years I suspected it was a non- bloomer. Went to the library and read somewhere that watering w/ epson salts may encourage flowers in plants.

J

6. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Don't use Epsom salts (Magnesium Sulphate) on Sansevieria. It won't encourage them to bloom and may even be toxic to them.

I have some ideas on which chemicals may encourage Sansevieria to bloom but Magnesium Sulphate isn't one of them. Much research has been done on other difficult to bloom plants but not Sansevieria.