Identification: Need help identifying garage sale find plant!

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by DrDanke, Oct 10, 2008.

1. DrDanke

DrDanke Member

I found this potted plant at a garage sale today and just loved the look of it and how the leaves? are thick and plump. I asked the lady what it was and she said it is a "cactus". She had some larger ones which had many many more leaves, and said that this one was a cutting? off of a larger one. To me, with my very limited knowledge, when I seen it, I thought of an Aloe plant, but it has a lot more dots on the leaves than the aloe plants I usually see.

I know its young and small, and exact identification might be hard without seeing a flower, but can someone steer me in the right direction about what it could be, or what type of plant it could be. If exact identification is not possible, If I knew generally what type of plant it is, then I can research the proper care, environment, and lighting/watering requirements it may need to have a nice healthy life.

I need to replant it in a bigger pot, but I don't know how big it will grow, or how big of pot it will need, or the best kind or type of potting soil to use. I am in Wisconsin, so I will keep it indoors in a window during the Winter. The lady said she keeps them in the house just fine, so I am hoping I can too.

Thank you very much in advance for any help! Any information or links to get more information would be appreciated, as I like reading and learning, even though my plant knowledge is very limited.

Attached Files:

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

X Gasterhaworthia 'Royal Highness' (Gasteria carinata var. verrucosa X Haworthia pumila)

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  4. constantgardener

constantgardener Active Member 10 Years

This looks like a hybrid, the lower leaves especially grow like partridge breast aloe but the leaves themselves remind me of pearl haworthia (Haworthia margaritifera). Many of these species interbreed easily and haworthia clones can look quite different depending on their growing conditions.