Rhododendrons: Rhody renovation

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by Janylin, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Janylin

Janylin Member

I HAVE TO PAINT MY HOUSE!! :-(

And since my rhodies live right up against it, can I whack my them WAY back at this time of year without killing them? I live in the Willamette valley. The rhodies live in the shade (for the most part) on the north end of the house.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Any chance of a different method? Perhaps tying them up to reduce their size , sort of like a cut christmas tree is wrapped? Use thick cord to wrap them up and exert firm but not unnecessary pressure, then place a drop cloth or tarp over them BRIEFLY in this hot weather whilest the paint is applied and the surface dries a bit before removing the tarp...? If you cut them back now, you will encourage new growth but it probably won't be hardened off by the time we get a good frost, possible burning etc. It's a bit late if you have the choice. But, I always try to tell folks at the nursery, if you HAVE to do it, then you HAVE to do it. If you can wait, wait. (best time to cut them is about June for most varieties, a few weeks after flowering.

3. Janylin

Janylin Member

Good plan! Can I at least cut them back a bit? They are so big that ladder placement is going to be a nightmare if I don't.

June, you say? Interesting. I worked at a local hospital here in the Willamette valley some years back, and I noticed that the landscaper cut back their rhodies one winter at about the same time he did the roses. Cut them back to practically nothing, he did! Just like the roses! It took them a couple of years to come back, but they filled out nicely after a time.

Thank you very much for the info!!

4. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Thinning is an option most anytime honestly. You can remove up to one third of the old growth branches down to their point of origination each year over a three year period. Timing is best to do this while the plant is actuvely growing (June-ish and into August at the latest). The plant will recover a pleasing shape and form of health and vigour. There is also the "kill or cure" type pruning, this is an extreme measure and is not usually the best way to schedule your pruning work. If you prune in winter you will most likely remove most if not all of your potential flowers for the following year.

5. jimmyc

jimmyc Member

My mother does the same thing as the landscaper mentioned in the previous post. She's never had any problems. As a matter of fact, they grow fuller every following year.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2007