Please Help me save this Jade!

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by juddde, Oct 9, 2008.

1. juddde

juddde Member

So this is the story. I found this "mini variegated jade" in IKEA , in the "As Is" department. They looked like they were about to be thrown away and most of its leaves had fallen off, so I felt sorry for it and brought it home. I know barely anything about gardening, but searching here and there I've found out that jades need lots of light and mustn't be overwatered. Well my poor little jade was soaking wet when I got it and I imagine that after being inside the store all that long it hadn't received proper light.

It also had fungus on the surface of the soil (like a white powdery fungus) so I scraped out and removed the top part of the soil. I hang it next a window that gets morning sun and put it outside in the afternoon so it gets sun from the other side of the house. I also removed all the dried out leaves and cut out all the dried stems.
    It seems to me like its doing a bit better?

I've tried to find how to care for it in the internet, but i haven't found anything listed under the name "mini variegated jade".

Could somebody please let me know the actual name (or scientific name) of this plant and how i can take proper care of it?
    All help is very appreciated.
    I have included some images I hope you find useful. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

it's not a crassula (jade plant), it's portulacaria afra.

the care is very similar to jades, though.

very well draining soil (cactus soil with extra perlite or aquarium soil mixed in), drainage holes in the container and it should be unglazed clay, let the soil dry out well before thoroughly watering again, keep it in bright light, don't let it get cold.

sounds like the usual situation: overwatered and improper lighting in the store.

i'd keep it in that spot inside and leave it there - moving it around all the time will only stress it more. let the soil thoroughly dry out before watering it again - should be at least two weeks in that size container (that's a 6 inch, correct?).

you did good to remove dead areas and to remove the fungus on the top of the soil.

let it get situated to the better lighting conditions and the better watering schedule for about a month to six weeks. i would check all the stems where they come out of the soil - if any are mushy feeling, then it'll have to be dealt with immediately. if they're not mushy, let it get situated and then repot it in the correct soil and an unglazed clay pot.

if the stem/trunk is mushy, you can cut the top off and repot it so that it'll grow new roots. just let the cut end dry/callous over for a week or two and then plant. don't water for another week and then give it a good watering.

if the trunk is not mushy, just continue as stated above and let the plant recuperate from the less than stellar care. once the plant has gotten used to the conditions in your house, you can repot it. when you take it out of the current soil, remove all of it and take a good look at the roots - use a sharp knife to cut off anything that looks bad (mushy, slimy, brown/black) and then put it in proper soil and let it sit a week before you water. the purpose of that is to allow the roots to recuperate a bit from being disturbed...although you see most of the roots, there are much smaller bits there that aren't easily seen and these are what need to recuperate.

this plant is a succulent, so not watering it for a bit will not hurt it at all - it has reserves in the leaves/branches/trunk and it will be just fine. they like their soil to dry out very well before getting another drink.

3. juddde

juddde Member

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response!

I felt the trunks that come out of the soil and they do not feel mushy, they are pretty firm (yay!) The container is the original 7.5 inch plastic hanging one it came in. I'll stop moving it around my house and leave it next to my window.
    I suppose I can get that cactus soil in most plant/gardening places, yes?
    And that extra perlite/ aquarium soil, are those like little stones?

My plant seems like it is meant to hang,
    so I'll try to find a clay pot that hangs well.
    Also, thanks for ID-ing it for me, i could finally find some pictures on the net of how
    my plant is supposed to look like.

Thanks again for all your help!

4. joclyn

you're quite welcome!!

you can get a clay pot (6 or 7 inch diameter) and insert it into the hanging planter - you won't really see it since it'lly be hanging and, if it's still visible, just use some of the decorative moss to cover it up.

yes, you should be able to get the cactus soil at any garden center or the gardening section of any large store (home depot, lowe's, etc). perlite and aquarium soil are small white pellets - former is chemical based; later is ceramic. i prefer using the aquarium soil as it's not dusty like the perlite - if you can only find the perlite, just don't breath in the dust when you open the bag and when you're digging in to with your spade.

avoid miracle gro brand if you can. it always has their fertilizer in it and you don't really need it for this plant...plus, you're better off applying fertilizer when, and if, it's needed. with the soils that have it added, you can easily end up with too much and that's detrimental to the plants (any of them, not just the succulents).

i love this one! i just got a couple cuttings and i'm waiting on them to root. yours will be really lovely once it gets back on it's feet and it shouldn't be too long before it does. then it'll go into the dormant period...so, you should see a bit of growth and then it'll look like nothing is happening until spring.

5. juddde

juddde Member

thanks so much for the extra advice!
    My plant seems to be doing much better already! there are little bits of purple new growth all around!
    Thanks for the advice on Miracle Gro, that's exactly the one I have at home. I also have a Hoya cutting on it and it seems to be doing pretty well (it has new leaf growth) but i'll watch it, just in case. I've marked the reppoting on my calendar, I'll post pictures once my plant gets better.

Thanks!

6. joclyn

i'm glad to hear that it's already showing signs that it's getting back on it's feet!! that's great!!

yes, please post some pics later :)

7. juddde

juddde Member

So I wanted to update you regarding my portulacaria afra variegata.
    It...died.
    I repotted it two weeks ago with a mixture of potting soil and dessert sand(?)
    (i couldn't find cactus soil at the time) and i added little pebbles i bought to the mix to add drainage. I also put it in an unglazed clay pot. Please look at the pictures of how it looked before it started dropping all of its remaining leaves and then died.

I was really upset about it and went back to IKEA to get a new plant, this time the healthiest I could find, but was dissapointed to find them all either dead or gone (all the leaves fallen off, stems wilted). All for the exception of one, which was also in pretty bad shape, but I brought it home anyways (i really like this plant)

I know I probably caused the death of the first plant, with my weird soil mix and all, but i really want to get it right with this second one. It seems to have some kind of fungus or mildew on the stems, like a white,dry surface on the stems (they are supposed to be reddish, but they are grayish and dry. I think the fungus could be causing leaves to drop and new growth to wilt prematurely. I've tried to find out how i can "cure" this, but I don't know how. The first plant also had this same "disease" and they could have caught it in the Ikea store. Help? Please?

I don't want this plant to die too!

Attached Files:

8. juddde

juddde Member

here are pictures of the new plant i got.
    it's in a rough shape, bt i still think this one is stronger than the last one.
    but still, notice the damage on the "trunks" and leaves.

what do you think is wrong?
    fungus?
    the stems aren't squishy or soft, i don't think it is rotting inside. but the stem surface looks flaky and greyish...

Attached Files:

• new.jpg
      new.jpg
      File size:
      44.7 KB
      Views:
    • new2.jpg
      new2.jpg
      File size:
      45.6 KB
      Views:
    • new3.jpg
      new3.jpg
      File size:
      43.6 KB
      Views:
    • new4.jpg
      new4.jpg
      File size:
      41.4 KB
      Views:
  9. joclyn

if you'd mentioned that the white powder was on the plant as well as the soil, i'd have said to treat with a fungicide. you'll need to do that now. you'll want one that treats powdery mildew and is made for succulents.

use a lot of pebbles in with the potting soil and sand - and not too, too heavy on the sand as it compacts and then the roots won't get enough oxygen.

10. joclyn

haha, i posted while you were doing the second post with the pics of the new plant!

yes, it's got fungus so you'll need to treat it. give it a week before you repot it - it needs to adjust to the different conditions before you stress it even more. don't worry about watering it, it'll survive a couple weeks with no water.

11. juddde

juddde Member

so...what should i do first?
    fungicide and then repot? and where can i find this fungicide? (regular plant shops?)
    and about the repotting...im afraid i killed the last one with my repotting genius!?
    im a little hesitant to repot this one too... definitely staying away from the sand this time, since i put wayyyy too much sand on the last one. i think that's what killed it. it was like 80% sand. :-/

thanks for the quick responses!
    sorry about all the questions, but i guess i am truly clueless.
    sigh.

thanks again!

12. markinwestmich

markinwestmich Active Member

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week387.shtml

In the Houston area, you should have plenty of arid climate plants at your local nurseries. It is likely that someone can help you with the proper soil mix. Pumice, fired-clay granules, bonsai soil, and course (2-4mm diameter) sand are popular soil amendments. As a general rule with arid climate plants in containers, the mix should be very loose, with a low percentage of organic material. Water should run through it easily and it should dry out rather quickly.

You will find that this plant will propagate easily with cuttings. So, if the lower part of the plant appears damaged, you can cut some of the healthy branches and plant those. Let the cuttings sit out and callus over for about a week, dip the cut end in a rooting hormone (optional), and stick it in your soil mix. Keep the soil slightly moist (not wet). Within a month, or so, your plants should begin growing.

Mark

13. juddde

juddde Member

thank you so much!
    I have recently moved to Houston so I'm still new to most places, but I will scout around for some nurseries!

14. joclyn

you would be better off finding the proper treatment at smaller mom-n-pop places versus somewhere like lowe's or home depot. you're best bet is to find a place that specializes in succulents and cacti - doesn't matter if it's a greenhouse or a botanical garden or a garden center.

the main thing at the moment is that you need to get the fungus under control. that is stressing the plant more than enough at the moment - repotting now will only cause more stress.

you may want to see if there's a local branch of the cactus & succulent society there in houston - i'm not sure if there is or not (may be a little further out from you). someone there may be able to refer you to a local retailer to get the proper treatment. since your area is a bit more tropical than mine, the lowe's or home depot may even have the right stuff - doesn't hurt to check. you need something specifically for cactus/succulents.

15. juddde

juddde Member

thanks for the tip on the cactus and succulent society! i will definitely check them out. I have been to home depot and they didn't have much (that's why i ended up with the crazy desert sand).
    I will see if I can talk to someone from the society and i'll scout around for some succulent fungicide.
    Thank you so much for all your useful information! I feel like I've learned so much since I got these plants!

16. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I've had a few of portulacarias, and I've found that they do not like to dry out and go bone dry. Makes them drop their leaves. Now I don't know if that has to do with where I live - Pacific Northwest and higher humidity or what. All of the books say let them dry well between waterings as one would do with succulents. Mine inevitably drop their leaves and I can't bring them back properly. You will have to be careful with this advice after you acquire one that has been overwatered though. I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm a bit confused about how to properly water them considering everything I've read. I'm rambling I know, but watering methods are so important to your overall success...

17. juddde

juddde Member

right, i know what you mean!
    sometimes i feel like i'm not doing anything right!

:)

18. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

I just thought I'd let you know that I've found Portulacarias to be, well, tempermental which is surprising. I have, and do grow lots of succulents, and if you follow a few basic rules, they almost always do well. Portulacaria has been added to my unsuccessful list. It's such a neat plant when grown well, but I love Jade and jade-like succulents.

19. juddde

juddde Member

I wanted to update you regarding the portulacaria afra I wanted to save.
    I applied fungicide (the best I could find in stores considering everyone's cleared out their gardening stuff to make way for christmas trees). I sprayed it with fungicide a week ago and yesterday again. The powdery white fungus seems to be giving way, but i'm not sure if i should spray my plant every single day or continue with once per week until its gone. Seems to me that after a couple of days the red stems get a bit ashy again.
    Here are some pictures (it lost some leaves before i applied the fungus but it hasn't loss much after i applied it)
    I am planning to wait another week to repot it into this really nice cactus/succulent soil mix I found at a cactus nursery.Should I wait or should i repot it ASAP?

Attached Files: