Bamboo Variety Suggestions

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by ikteros, Oct 6, 2008.

1. ikteros

ikteros Member

I need 2 recommendations please:

1) the best clumping bamboo for full shade? I want it to grow fairly quickly and be architecturally interesting.

2) fastest speading and growing screen or hedge bamboo to a max height of 20-25 feet that will grow well in partial shade yet tolerate some full sun?

Thanks and best regards to all.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fargesia robusta develops rapidly.

3. lauraf

lauraf Member

Hi, I spent quite a bit of time researching fast spreading (running type) bamboos that will grow to 25-25 ft in my area (Victoria BC), and I ended up buying a mix of Phyllostachhys Aureosulcata Aureocaulis and Phyllostachys aureosulcata spectabilis. The former has bright yellow canes, the latter yellow canes with a green grove and reddish nodes. I think they'll look good intermixed.
    There are other types of Phyllostachys (Bissettii, Aurea Holochrysa, Angusta, etc..) you might want to consider; the only non-Phyllostachys I considered was Semiarundinaria Fastuosa. This has the straightest culms of any bamboo, which is good if you are using it as a hedge, but the leaves are quite large, which makes it somewhat less delicate looking than other types of bamboo.
    My suggestion is to go to a nursery and actually take a look at the plants -- they can look quite different in real life as they do on Google pictures! I bought my plants from a nursery on Salt Spring Island which has an amazing selection, and a very helpful owner forthcoming with information!

Good luck!
    Laura

4. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'shiroshima' grows to 15' (lower than you mention, but maybe enough) and makes a very dense hedge (variegated leaves). It suits the conditions you describe for #2 above, and spreads faster than any bamboo I've dealt with. Definitely one to confine to the area you want it to fill; I had one shoot this year that emerged 10' from the main clump, having grown up through and out the top of a fir stump.