any benefit to using commercially-available mycorhizzae with the Wollemi?

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by DVance, Aug 27, 2008.

1. DVance

DVance Member

Hi All,

I recently acquired a 25" Wollemi Pine from a local nursery -- it has a very few brown spots, but based on the info in this thread (thanks MickiS!), I've decided not to worry about that for now. I would like some advice on planting, though.

I would very much like to get this in the garden in the next week or so to give it some time to acclimate (I am zone 7B, so I am not *too* worried about extended cold snaps, but if someone tells me differently...). The soil down here is definitely acid (ph around 5) and my lot is part shade and well-watered, which from what I can tell from my reading should be about right.

What I am curious about is the mycorhizzae fungi. I understand that several types are associated with the roots in the wild which I presume are native. I doubt these are available to me in the US and I suspect none made it with my plant.

Does anyone know if there is any benefit to using other commerically-available mycorhizzae with the Wollemi? I confess, I don't know how generalist these little bugs are - I believe there is some research being done on this at UBC, so I am hoping that someone out there does!

Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. DGuertin

DGuertin Active Member 10 Years

Re: Wollemi Nobilis needles turning brown

Where were you able to find a Wollie? My understanding is that these haven't 'officially' been released in the US yet, other than through National Geographic... I bought mine from Cornelius last year, and I haven't seen another since, hitting different nursuries every weekend every week, all year round. 25" is a heck of a good size - if you don't mind, what was the going rate on that?

Unfortunately, I also have to ask if you're sure it is, in fact, a Wollie... Several other plants bear a passing resemblance, which is why I ask.

3. DVance

DVance Member

Re: Wollemi Nobilis needles turning brown

Hi, DGuertin,

The cost was approximately USD $100 and I am sure it's a wollemi -- the nursery is well-known and very reliable. They are actually planting an entire row of them down here to see how they do in our conditions -- I'll be very interested in seeing how that turns out a couple of winters from now. I'm not sure how many of the "younglings" they have left -- If you can provide me with some contact info, I'd be happy to send you the details.