Acer x conspicuum 'Phoenix'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by mendocinomaples, Sep 4, 2005.

1. mendocinomaples

mendocinomaples Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Outstanding bark in fall and winter! Shrubby tree to 15 ft. or more depending on climate and culture. Bark is deeper red than A. pensylvanicum 'Erthyrocladum'.

Attached Files:

2. yweride

yweride Active Member 10 Years

Acer conspicuum 'Phoenix'

Pictures taken mid December in Oregon.

Attached Files:

3. interactbiz

interactbiz Active Member

Re: Acer conspicuum 'Phoenix'

Photographed at nursery near Munroe WA, May 19/07 IMG_6316.jpg

IMG_6315.jpg

4. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

From my understanding they are prone to branch and plant dieback, but these pictures show a really beautiful tree.
    Pictures are great too.
    P

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Can also be grafted as a high standard. Here showing a good strong yellow fall coloring, and quite large leaves. Picture taken 26/9. As with the other conspicuums the color seems short lived.

Attached Files:

6. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

It does better than A. rufinerve 'Erythrocladum' for us . Always seem to be dying a slow death where A. ruf. 'E' is quick to keel over . 'Silver Vein' is awesome ! The color on 'Phoenix' is nice , not equal to A. pen. 'E.' in my opinion . Emery - that looks wild . What if you put it on 'White Tigress' ? Or better yet 'Bump' . Yweride - looks like the get ample airflow .

7. pensylvaticum

pensylvaticum Active Member

Hello,
    The snakebarks are mainly understory trees so I put mine under the overhanging branches of A.platanoides which gets rather large, and in a sheltered position which may help with the problem of struggling Eurthocladam, and A.cappilipes, ruffinerve, etc, and their cultivars are all under large tree so they only get dappled light. It seems to make them want to grow higher to compete for light. It is their natural habit and habitat.
    Best Wishes,
    P

8. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

I saw this dude put a 'Phoenix' in full hot sun . He does like wasting money . For someone with so much education it is hard to believe he has trouble distinguishing between right and wrong . I belive his comment to me was " I am older therefore wiser " . I replied your the one with bark scalled you blankity blank . ha ha ! It is fun to experiment , don't get me wrong . I try not to flush money down the toilet . This winter I think I am gonna put 'Phoenix' on 'White Tigress' .

9. emery

Smalljaw, remember that full sun is not the same wherever you are... Here in Normandie we have a haze that comes in from the ocean so most sunny days don't compare with TN or PA. Every once in a while we get a few days (or even weeks) of true continental sun, and the maples suffer, but usually recover just fine. For example this Phoenix is in full sun and had very little burning at the year's end, as you see. I have a x conspicuum (rubescens) Silver Cardinal in full sun, this year there was no sign of burn at all an even now the leaves look amazing.

So, right and wrong is really relative to your geographical situation! :) Here good airflow around the base and branches is more important than sun.

Anyway it really is a wild looking tree, my wife just calls it "that devil tree." I hope you'll send a picture of the Phoenix /White Tigress combo.

-E

10. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

I hear ya . I am just relating as to my specific region . Hoping to prevent others thinking that full sun is fine around here . I rely on others experiences for help . Thank goodness everywhere is different . A change of scenery is refreshing . Airflow is crucial , the grower in the picture from the west coast had it going on . The growth can be rather pitchforkesque .

11. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hmmm, great word.....; never heard of it. Is it Tennessean?
    Synonyms?

Gomero

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Apart from theses trees tending to be from woodlands some of the problem with grafted stock dying back may be pathogenic infestations coming with them from the supplier, such as the systemic pseudomonas of Japanese maples mentioned on these forums by Mr Shep.

With trees and shrubs generally top decline can also be due to problems with the roots, as the roots go so goes the top. In addition to unsuitable soil conditions, including pathogens on the roots perhaps sometimes affecting these maybe some of them are having graft incompatibility issues. Grafted specimens of other kinds of trees may grow for decades before showing that there was an incompatibility. Scions taking and making new growth does not necessarily indicate a marriage made in Heaven.

13. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

is my experience with this maple....

14. smalljaw

smalljaw Member

Pitchforkesque , funny you should ask . I was surfing this summer in Lacanau and heard a dude ( Graham ) from Australia describing a rock in Hawaii as being pitchforkesque . Bacardi ( the club ) is good times .
    There are to many variables . I am glad ( y'all ( Tennessean ) are there for added input .

15. emery

Mine is a little less pitchforkesque than it was, but still has that aspect!

I was walking around when a beam of sunlight hit it this afternoon, so I grabbed my phone for a quick shot. Sorry about the poor resolution... But it really lights up that part of the garden in winter.

Attached Files:

16. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

this is my Phoenix finally i found one ,that survivor for some years ..whit snabark maples i use one new strategy ,not prune if appear black tips ,the branch whit black tips dead ,but the maple remain in life..wow emery yours is very nice !low PH is better for one rich red i use mature cow fertilize

Attached Files: