Identification: What is this plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by chinabeach, Sep 21, 2008.

1. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Good afternoon all
    It would seem that the plant that I have is a Coprosma Kirkii Variegated
    (Dwarf Mirror Plant)as anyone ever heard of this.Carol

Attached Files:

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

What does a Google search turn up?

3. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

When I research that name what I see looks like it might be the plant that I have but I'm still not 100% sure.

4. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

I have this plant & yours looks just like it! :) Coprosma kirkii 'Variegata'. I might get a photo of it in morning light.

5. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Good morning
    I would love to see a picture of your plant to see if mine looks like yours and to see how big it can get.Can I keep this plant indoors or does it have to be planted outside when spring comes.Thank you and hope to see your pic.Carol

6. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Good morning, Carol!
    Good thing you reminded me, as I would've most likely forgotten to go out & take pix!

I have this growing in the ground here in zone 10. It is not a houseplant, as for you. I would not recommend growing it as a houseplant, as it is considered a small shrub (at least for me). I received this plant form a friend in Wisconsin. She may have grown it as an annual there.

It's been awhile since I attached pix, so I hope I can remember how to do that. :D
    Here are a few pix of Coprosma kirkii 'Variegata', showing its sprawling habit, a bit closer shot & then detail of the leaves (center pic). It will grow woody stems & stays fairly low to the ground.

I found info that if you push your Ctrl button before clicking on the thumbnail, you can get a new window with the larger version of the pix. (which shows more detail)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  7. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Good afternoon Rose
    Thank you for the pictures great to see how big they can get.If I was to plant this now it probably would die,so I guess I have no choice but to keep it indoors until next spring and then plant it don't you think.If I can do that do you think that once winter here passes and I plant it that it would grow back.Really don't want to discard it.Any advice would be appreciated.My zone is I believe zone 3b which is pretty harsh winter.Take care and thank you Carol

8. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Hello again, Carol,
    I asked my WI friend about it. She said she grew it as an annual. Too cold for it for both of you (she's in Z4). She suggested you continue to grow it indoors & just take it outside for summer. Good luck with it!
    ~Rosemarie

9. chinabeach

chinabeach Member

Thanks a bunch Rose and take care
    Have a great day!