Peanut cactus care?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Chester, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Can anyone give me some advice (from experience) on how to care for the peanut cactus in my locale? I had one a few years ago, and it didn't do well at all. I ended up composting it out of frustration. I've picked up another at the grocery store (at least it sure looks like one, or cultivar) and would like this one to do better...

2. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Echinopsis chamaecereus (formerly Chamaecereus silvestrii) should have done very well for you. It is a mountain species that likes it sunny and cool especially during the summer. It needs a cool but not freezing winter to set buds for flowers in the spring. Let the plants go dry between watering and never let them sit in standing water.

3. Chester

Well, I did keep it sunny, but not always cool. I put it in a South-facing window during the winter, and put it outside in dappled sun/shade during the summer. Winter, no water, and summer I watered when it started to dry out. I found that it turned brown with too much sun in the summer, and so had to put it in the sun/shade of a tree. I found that the plant didn't grow hardly at all in the 5 years I had it, other than turning brownish (but still alive) when it got too much sun. One spring it gave a very nice bloom, which lasted for a week or so. I have heard that they can be quite fast growers (for cacti) but was so frustrated with mine after 5 years that I pitched it. Perhaps the sunny but cool part is what was holding mine back. My southern window is warmish during the winter (during the day). I have overwintered cacti here on the West Coast outside so perhaps I should try that. Always a challenge to find a sunny, cool, dry spot around my house. Hmmm...

4. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

I have had several of these, and lost them all to fungus shortly after adding them to my collection. I think they are sensitive to fungal infections, especially after big box store abuse.

5. Chester

I did buy mine from a grocery store (same difference I suppose). The earlier one as well. Quite frustrating when you Google Image and see how lovely they can be, and hear stories of what reliable growers and bloomers they are...

Say Cereusly Steve, I'm needing some more info about this plant. What kind of soil do they like? How often to fertilize and with what, etc...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  6. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

I would treat them like other cacti for soil and water. A soil mix of 33% potting soil, 33% sand, and 33% pumice, perlite, or decomposed granite will suffice.

As to watering, water well during growth, little if any during dormancy in the fall and winter, early spring.

7. Chester

Well essentially I treated my first peanut cactus like everyone suggests except for the coolness during the winter months (it does get very cool in my house at night). I haven't heard anything new to me, including coolness, which I can't exactly provide. Wonder why it grew so slowly or hardly at all at times...no blooms maybe, but very little growth during the growing season? I've heard they put on lots of growth for a cactus. Is it truly one of those plants that need a greenhouse or cool conservatory or don't bother?

8. Johnts71

Johnts71 Active Member

I have one where I live and its done really good. 4 months being planted it grew 4 new growths and bloomed 3 times.

here is an early pic a few months back and a more recent one taken yesterday

it does need water where I live...it loves rain water. We had a couple of pour downs and it grew noticeably.

Attached Files:

9. Chester

Look at that little beauty! She's doing great. Mine doesn't look anythink like that. Makes me wonder if I really have a peanut cactus. I think I do, but I've heard that are some varieties/cultivars (?) that do better than others. I'll bet that has a bit to do with where I am versus where you are. Our cacti are (by and large) only houseplants up here in Our Lady of the North. Thanks for the pic. I love looking at peanut cactus.

10. cactus6103

cactus6103 Member

The orange bloom is beautiful. Red

11. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

The plant in the picture is an Echinopsis hybrid with "Peanut Cactus" in its parentage. Its not pure Echinopsis chamaecereus. The stems are too stout, too erect and too few branched to be a typical "Peanut Cactus". The real thing has freely branching, sprawling slender stems.

12. john316

john316 Member

I have been growing peanut cacti on and off for over 25 years. I live in Central Florida. I have the cacti outside on the back porch, facing the West, so they primarily receive afternoon sun. I find they grow well in soil formulated for succulents (Miracle Grow), although I have successfully grown them in soil that rapidly promotes root growth (again, Miracle Grow). As for watering, I don't water until the soil looks truly dry. Then I thoroughly water until water is running out of the bottom of my pots. I often fertilize with Miracle Grow (I used to use Peters fertilizer but can't find it anymore). Peanut cactus does great during the Summer. It's growth slows to a crawl over Winter, but these cacti can stand the cold (above freezing). Treat them like a plant and don't baby them too much. They can stand direct summer sunlight in Florida Summer, so I imagine they can handle the heat anywhere. I think the main trick in getting them to grow is to be patient while they form roots (sometimes a month before you see any real progress) and do not under-water them. Wait till soil is dry and then soak them (make sure pots have holes at bottom or you will rot your cactus,