Best Grapes for the Lower Mainland

Discussion in 'Grapes and Grape Vines' started by Gardener1, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

I have planted Sovereign Coronation, Red Seedless, Reliance, Black monukka, Himrod, Interlaken and Thompson grapes in the past one year.

Out of these the best plant is the Reliance grape, The vine is vigorous, and has produced 20 bunches of grapes already.... Amazing

G1

Attached Files:

2. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Thanks for info on Reliance. It's a really nice grape. Have you tried Vanessa it's also a really good red seedless. The pics are from a plot in the Kelowna area. Nice to see that Reliance grows well down there. The biggest problem you run into with Reliance is
    poor color some years and the wasps like it. Cheers

Attached Files:

3. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

I tried looking for vanessa, skookum, mars and jupiter... and was unsuccessful....

Is vanessa an early variety or a late one?? You see in the lower mainland, the weather is so wet and rainy the medium or late varieties do not ripen... so I am on the lookout for an early variety... one that sprouts really early in spring

G1

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Vanessa is "mid season" red seedless, about 4 weeks before Concord, and withstands some late season rain (in fact a rainfall after it is ripe can significantly improve flavors)

Ralph

5. Gardener1

Gardener1 Active Member

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply and the info... So in the final analysis, is it a good grape for the lower mainland?? Is it early enough?? Does it actually mature and sweeten to the point of delicious taste in the lower mainland??? Have you grown any and can you enlighten us all on the experience...
    G1

6. northerngrapes

northerngrapes Active Member

Vanessa is available. You might try Bylands in kelowna. It ripens around the same time as Reliance. Skookum and Sooke are grown by a few table grape growers in the Okanagan. Simone aka Sovereign Charter is also a really nice grape and
    did quite well in trails down there about 15 years ago. Jupiter isn't available yet.
    I've attached some pics of the 3 grapes. They are pretty nice table grapes for our climate. Cheers

Attached Files: