Mites on Dracaena Marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Plant Newbie, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Plant Newbie

Plant Newbie Active Member

Can anyone recommend how to get rid of mites on my Dracaena Marginata? I gave it a good spray with neem oil (the guy at the garden centre said that neem oil would get rid of mites and help the leaves taste bad so the mites would not return).

I know it's mites because I found webbing on the undersides of the leaves. There are also small white bugs with lots of legs.

Should I do anything else? I've cut back on the watering too. How often do you have to spray the plant? It's a rather large plant. (pic attached)

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Where are the small white bugs? Do they resemble isopods? (sow, or pill bugs) If so, could be mealies.

This is the time of year regular spiders will come into the house and can climb on plants. If it is really spidermites, knocking the web somewhat over a piece of white paper should reveal them.
    When you spray, slightly turn the plant on an angle and spray the leaves "thoroughly" not to miss an inch, getting the undersides as well, complete coverage is the key. That should take care of both pest. Spray every 5 to 7 days for at least three weeks, then keep checking in case you missed any. You can also use an insecticidal soap just for houseplants, or, rubbing alcohol and water mixed in a spray bottle (8 prts water to 2 prts alcohol) Keep the infected plant away from others if you have more, they also should checked as well.

3. Plant Newbie

Yes, it is mealies!

I have the plant in the garage. I'm just worried that it is a little cold in there but I don't want my other plants to get those bugs. I gave the plant a thorough spraying of neem oil. Do you mean I need to do that once every 5-7 days for three weeks? How much water should I give it?

Thank you!

4. Bluewing

Dracaena's can tolerate a wide range of temperatures as long as they aren't too cold or hot, so it should be ok for a few weeks in the garage. If there are nice days, you can bring it outside in a bright shaded area so it keeps getting good indirect light.

Yes, spray the plant once every 5-7 days for at least three weeks is a must. Mealies are nasty creatures and can be a real challenge to get rid of in a short period of time.

As far as watering, let the soil pretty much dry out between waterings.

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Neem oil should have done it.

Mist the leaves of your plant with plain water from time to time, especially in the crown. Mites thrive only when the plant is dry for a long time.

Mealies are another story. They are more difficult to get rid of. You will need to spray with Neem oil once a week for a couple of months until they are finally gone. Mealies are active at night so be sure spray thoroughly.

6. Plant Newbie

Wow! A couple of months of spraying? These things are going to be harder to get rid of than I anticipated.

I'm worried that I might overspray it with neem oil... is that possible? How much is enough?

If I don't manage to get rid of the mealies, what will happen to the plant?

7. Bluewing

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Neem oil is not approved for use as a pesticide in Canada.

9. Plant Newbie

Thanks for the thread on neem oil! I'm getting a little confused, is neem oil effective or not? Is it enough to get rid of mealies? I really love this plant :( Please advise what you think is the best option for getting rid of mealies on my dracenea...

10. Bluewing

Neem oil should get rid of mealies and any other pest in a few applications. Keep it on hand if you miss any, or they will come back!