overwinter fuchsias?

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by Chester, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Hi there. I'd like to overwinter my fuchsias, and was wondering if anyone could advise me. I have a dark and unheated garage, and warm house - nothing in between. I tried to overwinter a couple a few years ago in the garage. I watered them just to keep them from drying out completely, but they didn't make it. Any thoughts? I think my zone is 8.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on the Fuchsia. Some will survive planted outdoors all year, others you'll need to keep frost-free.

3. Chester

My hanging basket is not planted with hardy fuchsias.

4. Michael F

Then best in a cool greenhouse with a minimum of 5°C.

5. slohrer

slohrer Member

I kept a fuchsia in the house one winter. It lived in my laundry room by a west window. I think I cut it back once or twice and otherwise treated it as a house plant. It did really well and was nice and bushy in the spring. the only drawback was that the berries that fell on the floor made a mess.

6. Chester

I'm not trying to be cranky, but I wouldn't be asking if I had a cool greenhouse to put it, and about a million other things in for the winter. Nice tip about the laundry room, but don't have one of those either. My house is very small, and quite overloaded with houseplants as it, so that's why I'm asking about further options...

7. Michael F

Can you rig up some kind of lean-to against the side of the house outside, that will keep frost off and still let them get light?

Or any chance of getting a window put in the garage?

8. Chester

I've been angling for a window in the garage for years, but hubbie thinks it's a security risk for his tools. A lean-to is certainly an option, although a local woman said she put hers up against the house, made sure they didn't dry right out, and they came through. Coming through is one thing, but recovering enough to put out blossoms before late August is another, which appeared to be the case. It's not a biggie to keep them I guess, but I do have 'Autumnale', which is quite nice and not all that easy to get here with the rush on fuchsias in the spring. Anyway, thanks for the advice :)

9. slohrer

slohrer Member

Your fuchsia will probably do just fine if you set it near any window in any room, as long as it doesn't freeze or dry out.

10. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

I've found that cuttings in a jamjar of water on the (north facing) kitchen window sill form roots over the winter, and make nice little bushes in the spring. They still flower later than the hardy ones, but I thought that was just because they do. It's an insurance policy, anyway. I haven't got a greenhouse or much room indoors, either, nor a window in the garage, and it's such a problem finding room for all the things that have to come in, let alone Christmas bulbs.

11. Chester

Cuttings as an insurance policy. Good idea. I'll try that. Space is a huge (no pun intended) problem for me. I just don't have the room for 2 large hanging baskets of fuchsias. 900 square feet and 2 little boys (and their Dad) doesn't leave much space for them what with my houseplants and all. Thanks for the help everyone.