Phal grows huge leaves

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by gallina, Sep 11, 2008.

1. gallina

gallina Active Member

I got my Phal orchid last November, and it was blooming at that time.
    When it stopped blooming, I cut the stem as recommended, but the phal never bloomed again. The stem dried out and I cut it to the root.
    Since then, the phal has been growing huge leaves one after another. But no signs of another flower stem.
    The orchids in flower shops, have nice small leaves. I don’t want these huge leaves because of the limited space on the window ledge.

I’m also concerned that the orchid is leaning sideways, and the pot tips over easily.

Any tips please?
    Thanks

2. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Without knowing your growing conditions it is difficult to advise changes. With my disclaimer in place I would think that the plant needs more light. Phals can often take higher light levels than they are commonly exposed to. A SE exposue is optimum but your brightest window in the winter light for sure (you may need to move or shade the plant in the spring to prevent sunburn). Sunlight is quite weak in Canada during the winter so supplemental light is also an option. When exposed to higher light levels several of my Phals have responded with smaller leaves and more flowers per bloom.
    For flowering, Phals also respond to a slight drop in evening temperatures (about 10 degrees F). I also use period applications of epsom salts (1 tsp/ gal H2O) when watering my orchids (some say this doesn't help, but I have seen flower spikes initiated soon afterward and it doesn't appear to harm them).
    The only suggestion I have for your leaning problem is to place the plant inside a heavier clay pot to stabilize it. Phals grow this way in nature (attached to trees, leaning towards the light, allowing the crown to drain). You can rotate the plant but it leads to strange orientation of the flower buds and isn't really recommended.

Good luck
    Shaun

3. gallina

gallina Active Member

Thank you Shaun

I believe you are right about the lack of light. I keep the phal on an East window, it is exposed to the sun light early morning.
    I also have a South window in the kitchen, and sometimes I place the phal there. Keeping the orchid in the kitchen would be awkward for some other reasons.
    I'm not sure though if taking the plant back and forth is a good idea.
    As far as the size of the leaves, would a smaller pot be a solution?
    I have read about epsom salts, and I'm going to try this method, too.
    BTW, this a picture of the orchid in question.

Attached Files:

4. dustylanes

dustylanes Member

just be happy you haven't killed it. ha ha. well the only thing i've noticed is they don't like to be moved, summers to hot and winters to cold. also better pots with slits or holes in the sides are great. oh yeah if you start seeing thin black lines or broken lines running down the length of the leaves thats a virus that the stressed plants will get. keep it away from other orchids.good luck.

5. gallina

gallina Active Member

dustylanes

Thank you for the comments.
    I'll leave it on the South window and see what happens.