Japanese peace lily

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Natsuguri, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Natsuguri

Natsuguri Member

I bought a Japanese peace lily about 2 months ago. For the first couple of weeks there were no problems but over the last few weeks I have noticed that the larger of the flowers have begun to turn green.
    The plant has about 12 flowers and the largest 5 are slowly getting greener.
    I have never kept one of these plants before. Could someone tell me if this is part of the natural ageing of the flowers or am I doing something wrong?
    I keep the plant next to a window but not in direct sunlight and water it only when the top inch or two is dry as I have read elsewhere in these forums.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Joy Cooper

Joy Cooper Active Member

Yes, the greening of the flowers is part of the ageing process, they turn green, then brown, shrivel & die. At least they last quite a while & make a good display. They don't like sunlight, prefer indirect light, but are a hardy plant & will quickly let you know when they need a drink because the leaves droop dramatically, but, just as quickly, perk up again when given a drink, also enjoy some fertilising in the growing season. Where we are, that is nearly all year round. My plant is more than 20 yrs old & has been horribly neglected, but now with much TLC, I'm hoping it will flower this year. Fingers crossed!! Enjoy your plant.

3. koipondgardener

koipondgardener Active Member

How hardy is this plant outdoors? I am thinking zone 9-11 usda. Any thoughts on this?

4. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

So what is the real name for "Japanese Peace Lily"?

A Google search shows the name has been misapplied to various Spathiphyllum but they are South American in origin not Japanese.

5. greenplant

greenplant Member

I've just bought my Japanese Peace Lily today and wanted to check if it was suitable for cats because I live in a house with two cats and I'm not sure if my cats would be OK with this plant. Is it OK for cats?

EDIT: The real name for the Japanese Peace Lily is Spathiphyllum

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  6. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Well they are part of the arum family, and so might cause some problems if your cats were to nibble on them. I don't know exactly how toxic they are however. One always hears about throat problems if aroids are ingested, but it seems like people are mostly repeating what they read, which may or may not be true. Perhaps they are more dangerous for pets, with a lower body weight?

Just as an aside, what makes you call it a 'Japanese' peace lily? Did the tag say that? Interesting, I've grown them on and off for years and haven't heard them called Japanese peace lilies...and to my knowledge, Japan has very little to do with spathiphyllums, so I'm curious.

7. greenplant

greenplant Member

The tag said Spathiphyllum sweet rocco. I only bought it because I like the style of the plant and that I saw it in the film Hot Fuzz