medicinal plants/herb forum

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Creeping Jenny, May 3, 2008.

1. Creeping Jenny

Creeping Jenny Active Member

I haven't seen a forum for this kind of plant talk. Is there one on here that I missed?

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Not that I'm aware of, and I read all of the forums here.

I think it would be a great idea, though - Hint Hint, Nudge Nudge, Poke Poke - maybe when Daniel does the whole forum-updatey-new-software thing?

3. Creeping Jenny

I think it would be great. Im sure there is some interest there! Im not sure who Daniel is, but we should have a talk for sure! So the forum is being updated soon?

4. lorax

Daniel is Daniel Mosquin, who is one of the fantastic UBC botany dudes in charge of this site. He's the guy to ask about adding fora for your flora.

Apparently the forums will be updated eventually; there's a thread in the forum announcements about that whole schmozzle.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a possibility, but lorax is right - we'll consider it when the forums get upgraded. I'm not around much for the next 2 weeks, but the forums upgrade will happen right after that (well, right after I catch up on my emails after returning from my trips)

6. Creeping Jenny

Thanks Daniel, I would love it if you guys would consider it! Please let me know what you decide when you upgrade. Also, have a great trip!

7. lorax

Have a great trip, Daniel! See you (and the new improved forums) when you get back!

8. slvrstrega

slvrstrega Member

I to would be interested in a herbal forum medicinal, culinary and aromatherapy in content.

9. Creeping Jenny

Any word on it anyone?

10. bjo

bjo Active Member 10 Years

Also would be very interested, it could perhaps include the ethnobotany thread.
    Ciao
    BrianO

11. lorax

Depends on when Daniel returns from his conferences....

12. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yeah, I'm at another one now (though it's local so I can check in from time to time). Plus there's catch-up - have to check 7000+ posts from the past 6 weeks... and then all the other emails.

13. slvrstrega

slvrstrega Member

Thank you Daniel for considering it (herb forum). Hope you had a good trip and came back rested and relaxed enough to check out those 7K posts!

14. et2007

et2007 Active Member

It would be great and I will be checking in everyday...

15. C8luvs2gardn

C8luvs2gardn Active Member

I would also be interested. I'm trying to plant as many herbs as my space and mostly shady garden will permit, especially those native to this region. I have noticed that the bees seem to go to all the herbs and other edible plants FIRST and I'm planning on giving them a lot more flowers. (I'm still researching this one, but there are always bees visiting the herbs when they flower, esp. winter savory). It would help greatly to know the properties of these herbs.

16. Daniel Mosquin

Done with 4 thread prefixes to start - culinary, therapeutic, medicinal and general.

17. Creeping Jenny

Awesome! Thank you!!!

18. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I dunno...after reading about this scary Bill C-51...is it safe even to talk about these subjects?

19. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Think I am correct in saying Bill C-51 died with the calling of yet another election.
    Margaret

20. C8luvs2gardn

Yay!! :-)

(not so much for the election, but very happy the plug was pulled on that bill!)

21. slvrstrega

slvrstrega Member

I would guess that bees are attracted to the scent of the volitile oils in the herb plants .

22. C8luvs2gardn

I'm not sure what attracts them, but they do seem to be attracted to plants with medicinal/culinary properties, even more so than other plants.

We have been watching the bumblebees and several varieties of solitary bee in our garden this summer. It seems to us that they visit the herb and vegetable flowers, along with plants like achillea millefolium, alchemilla mollus and native species like liatris before they visit anything else. In fact, because of our observations this summer, we have decided to make a number of changes in the garden in order to emphasize these plants. Hoping to have many more pollinators next year... :-)