Echium pininana droping ??

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by parkeey, Sep 9, 2008.

1. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

my echium , i have 3 2 of them r droping bad and all the leaves not upright, is that normal for the time of year in the uk or is it too much rain, they r potted up and its been crap weather here, lots of rain???? what shall i do please...

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Might be too wet. Look at the roots.

3. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

one of the droping ones is a bit damp, but i wouldnt say too much, im going pop them inside, see what happens. Do u think they would be better planted out in the ground but i dont want the frost to get to them thats why im potting them for this y. I did repot them a month ago and the roots have only just started to fill out the soil.

see ffrom the pics one had droped bad, the next looks like its following, the good one its leaves r spread wide open and looks great!

Attached Files:

4. Ron B

Looks like root rot. Were these dug up out of the ground, with clods of soil at the base and potting medium around the outside? Maybe the soil left on the roots is too wet, wetter than the potting medium.

5. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

i bought them they were in pots originally, just reupped the size, we have had loads rain maybe the roots just bit wet, seems wierd though as they r not soaking throughout and only a tad damp at the bottoms..

6. Ron B

Water molds develop for awhile and then when they have done enough damage to the roots the top tells the tale.

7. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

ok heres a pic of the roots just for u too see, will they come back do u think?

Attached Files:

8. Ron B

Most of the potting medium shown is dust. Your plants are in desperate need of a good soaking.

9. parkeey

parkeey Active Member

thanks for the help, so its obvisouly not getting enough water to the plants roots, should i put it in the ground, and will it survive the winter here in uk???????????????

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  10. Ron B

Look up characteristics and culture on web sites and in gardening books to judge if you think they can go out in your district. Can be grown outdoors in UK where climate mild enough, during suitable years when coldest winters do not occur.

Not likely to overwinter well as a house plant, if you do not have a cold greenhouse or other intermediate area to place them into they will probably be much happier in the garden.

11. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Many enthusiasts in the south of England, esp. along the southern coast, regularly grown nice echiums in the ground. I'm not familiar enough with your area to suggest the odds for your garden...but my echiums, always well fleeced on frosty nights, have crapped out here with cold below about -6C, especially if it continues more than a day or two as in our trademarked arctic outflows (that you rarely get over there)

It is quite late to be planting yours in the ground tho...since the roots will not extend much into the soil before the winter stops any further growth. The best decision for you might depend on how well you can overwinter them in the pots...as mentioned a minimally heated greenhouse would be ideal. As much light as possible and only a few degrees of frost at most if the plant is in container.

In the house tends to be too warm and too dark in the winter, unless it's just for the coldest nights then back outdoors in a protected spot maybe under the eaves?