Help identifying cacti

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by HotPresent, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Sorry to hear about your family problems. I recently lost both of my parents and have health problems but I do not use that as an excuse for not taking proper care of my plants. Maybe you should turn your plants over to someone who can care for them better until your situation gets better? If what you really need is moral support, seeking a support group would be more appropriate. Not over the internet but actual personal contact.

2. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

I'm really sorry, but I explained the situation already?

I don't know HOW many times exactly I have to repeat that:

1. I started caring about the cacti 2 months ago.
    2. I do NOT water them too much.
    3. They DO get enough light now.
    4. I WILL repot them and use the proper soil as soon as I get the opportunity to do so. I can't do it now cause it's SUNDAY and yesterday it was SATURDAY. SHOPS DON'T WORK OVER THE WEEKEND!

You jump to conclusions over a couple of photos, even though the real situation has been explained to you a couple of times already.

How about I ship the cacti to you so you can take care of them?

3. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Try not to let anyone here upset you, the majority of people here are very friendly and want to help, without being rude.
    Please come back with other plant questions if you need help in the future. Sorry for all the problems you are having, things like what your going through can feel over-whelming and very stressful I'm sure!

The first cactus with the bent root doesn't seem to be a problem from the photo, i'd probably leave it be.

4. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

Thanks a lot. :)

5. Cereusly Steve

Cereusly Steve Active Member

Since you prefer having the others tell you what you want to hear, just forget everything I've said. Do what you want to do when you are able. If you lose the plants, you can always get more.

6. HotPresent

HotPresent Member

The others have told me exactly the same thing you did, but politely.

And I'm not gonna lose the plants, since they survived well under my mothers "care" for a year. The little Opuntia, for example, started growing when I took her to my room, and away from the balcony.

Your advice are good, but your attitude puts people off.

7. Chester

Chester Active Member 10 Years

Say there HotPresent, I am so sorry to hear about your friend, and prayers to your Uncle. I can relate - my Mom and Father-in-law both recently passed away from cancer 2 weeks apart.

I find that working with my plants, and immersing myself at times with their needs is a big help too. I imagine pet therapy and plant therapy provide similar kinds of support/relief. It's nice to have the forum to turn to for answers when books and google don't fill the bill. I have had some fabulous advice over the past few years from here. Sometimes you have to wait awhile until the right person goes online. But when they do, oh man, magic! Thank you for coming on, sharing your story and reminding us all that sensitivity to others is important in face to face and online contact.

8. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

When roots are bent at a 45 degree angle, I only do something if it gets in the way of potting the plant properly. That something is cutting it off, which can be nothing to the plant, or it can be severe shock depending on how much root was cut off.

Personally, if I had a Mamm that had not grown or flowered in a summer, I would unpot it to see what was going on. Look for root mealies, the size of the roots, they should extend throughout the pot, and whether the roots are dead or alive. Then look at the body of the plant, does it look nice and green or colored as it should be? Is the body of the plant soft or firm?

I just tossed an Eriosyce senilis which was in pretty bad shape, with a soft body and no roots or root growth to speak of. I had bought it at a clearance sale earlier this summer and it never seemed to grow.

When repotting plants, it is important to let the roots dry off for 24 to 72 hours before repotting. Then after repotting in dryish soil allow another 72 hours before watering the plant. This resting of the plant allows cuts and wounds to heal before they get damp, preventing the introduction of funguses to the body of the plant.

In my experience if the root ball is not damaged, it is possible to pot up succulents to the next biggest pot by potting with dry soil and letting them rest for 3 days before watering.

9. bcsister

bcsister Active Member

Re: Help identifying cacti?

Okay, I'm gonna speak up here. I'm still very new as well, and truly uneducated when it comes to gardening of any kind. I have come to this site for help several times, and was helped tremendously.
    HotPresent, because I believe this site is a priceless resource, I'd hate to see you get turned off of it. And I'm going to point some things out that I see.
    Just follow along, and see if you can agree, okay? Here's the start of the problem:
    After seeing your pictures, there were 8 postings. Everyone had tips, advice, and concerns. Some banter was played about, and links were provided for you. Here is your response:

1, You cannot see rot until it is too late. (usually) the tops may be saved to grow another plant, though.
    2, nobody can see how they are "growing", pictures are stills.
    3, no, they are not fine. people told you that your plants were light deprived, in the wrong soil, and over watered.
    To me, your reply sounds like you did not pay any attention to those trying to help.

1, "Elongated" is not a shape, it is a health condition. Akin to saying that a human with scoliosis is "growing fine".
    2, being confused with too much information is natural. however, your statement about the guy being good at taking care of cacti and then defending the condition of your arrangement by questioning (arguing with) the advice given to you was rude.
    What you did was show lack of gratitude for advice, and then imply that people here did Not know about taking care of cacti (because your guy does, and he can't be wrong.)

Anyone doing any reading on cacti/succulent soil will hear repeatedly:
    "light soil, great drainage" or, "try sand mix" "perlite", "1/2 mix sand, 1/2 light soil" ect, ect.
    You pick which growing medium you prefer. Hopefully, a medium cacti can grow in.

See all that other stuff? The organic matter in your pots? the wood chips and other clumps (is that moss? hard to tell) mixed in with the dark dirt? NOT good.

I don't care WHAT your cacti guy knows... that organic, absorbing, rotting material should NOT be in cacti soil. Too wet,+ too heavy,+ no drainage (which does not mean a hole in the bottom of the pot alone) = sick plant.
    root rot. bugs. over watering. lack of oxygen to the roots.

If you don't like the info offered you, just say thank-you. Showing others that you are obviously disregarding the offered help is just plain wrong.

In my experience, cacti grow in the desert. It is pretty hot there, agreed?
    Is it possible you were reading about Jungle Succulents? Dense, humid, shade loving succulents?

I don't know how hot Croatia gets in the summer. My cacti are from the area around the equator, so it is never hot enough here.
    As for not growing until they were watered... I don't think most cacti can grow that quickly. You said two months?
    What cacti and succulents DO do is store water. In their bodies and leaves.

Do you think it is possible that the reason your cacti look as though they are "growing" is because they are getting larger by trying to store too much water?

maybe not to you, however cereusely steve, joceylyn, and blue wing had all commented on the watering. But here's the thing...

How can you debate how your soil "appears" to someone else? Again, here you are arguing with the help offered! And with a (my perception only) snotty "Oh, by the way..." to start it off, too. Again, I find this to be rude.

Personally, I believe the "muck" and "muddy cereal" comments were due to the organic matter I already pointed out to you. You didn't know, so don't take it personally.

Now lets see how you reply to suggestions regarding getting your elongated plants some better lighting:

No. It is not.
    Again, if that's where you like it, great! But your cacti may not be so happy with the arrangement.
    It may do your plants good for you to know that sunlight through a window is not "full sun". You can look up the rest yourself.

Why all the arguments?? Either take the knowledge offered and use it, or discard it. If you continue with this site you will see that many do disagree on a variety of things. Yet nobody feels the need to DEFEND themselves!
    This next exchange I simply don't understand:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cereusly Steve
    Not only are they not getting enough light, they are way overpotted in a wet muck not at all conducive to the successful growing of succulent plants. Unquote.
    Are you always this kind to newbies? :)

What does kindness have to do with the issue?
    This is INFORMATION. period.
    Information based in fact, gained by experience.
    How would you prefer to be told that your cacti are not getting enough light and that the soil is too mucky to let them have any kind of successful growth?

cereusly steve wrote: "One asking for help should be receptive to constructive criticism when they are doing things wrong."
    I completely agree. As I suspect you do, too as your reply below suggests. You came here (as did I and many others) for help and advice.
    I believe cereusly steve felt the need to blatantly point things out that were going wrong in your growing habits out of pure frustration.
    You just don't seem to be getting it!

You have not been receptive in the LEAST! I hope you see that now.
    I believe I made my point about what I found rude in this thread.
    Maybe it's a cultural thing (??), being across the globe and all.
    I sure hope so!
    In my neighborhood, If I go ask someone to help me with something I know little about, I am happy to learn!
    Grateful that person took the time to teach me and let me know what I was doing wrong. I respect them for considering me, and what I'm trying to do.

Not you, though.

You spent your time telling us all why you are right, and how you don't need to change soil, your watering is good, plants are growing fine, ect....

To me, YOU have been rude and disrespectful. Never mind thinking you may be appreciative, you've been actually DISDAINFUL of others help on this thread! And you ASKED for the help in the first place!

Not one person criticized you for time/ money/ energy/ or gardening ability.
    I have none of these things myself! (me? disabled, poor, isolated, inexperienced ect..) There was no reason to rant about your life's circumstance.

The problem (as I see it) is your simple inability to respectfully accept (or throw away!) ANYTHING offered to you. As you make my point a final time in your last reply (still unwilling to accept anything while at the same time as asking for even more help!):

Good luck to you, my plants are very therapeutic for me, and I enjoy them thoroughly!

Honey, I ain't touching that with a 10 foot pole! I'm sure you have your own ideas.....

10. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Right-o. Closing thread. We talk about plants here, not people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.