wintering my succulents

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by MrsB, Aug 31, 2008.

1. MrsB

MrsB Member

Hi all,
    I love succulents but am still naive about their care.
    I have the following currently in a clay pot:
    -hens/chicks
    -sedum hispanicum
    -spreading stonecrop

Is it possible for them to survive a BC winter (I live in Abbotsford) outside?
    I was hoping to actually plant these in a more permanent sunny area of my garden but am concerned about how they will winter.
    Do I keep them in the pot or can I plant them and care for them in such a way that they survive the cooler weather in the ground?
    Any advice you can offer will be welcome!
    _MrsB.

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

hens & chicks and the stonecrop sedum are hardy here in zone 6 and i believe they're hardy in 5 as well (and possibly lower zones, too). so, if you're in either of those, then they'll definitely be fine. wasn't familiar with the other sedum and did a quick search - that one is hardy down to zone 2, so that one should be just fine - in the pot (buried or not) or in the ground.

if you don't want to put them in the ground now, i'd at least bury the pots in the ground. in the spring you can pull up the pots and then plant them in the ground and they'll have plenty of time to get established before winter.

3. Analogdog

Analogdog Active Member 10 Years

Since you are only about 200 km north of me, I will chime in. I can keep them outside in pots all year in this area, USDA Zone 8a. I would think that you could do. They can tolerate the rain, cold and the long stretches where PNWers go back to thinking the sun is a myth.

4. MrsB

MrsB Member

Analogdog,
    are your pots buried or above ground? And do you try to keep them in a protected area in your yard?
    -MrsB