Brugmansia Flowering

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by edleigh7, Nov 26, 2007.

1. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

It is an outdoor tropical so I decided to post this in here.
    This is plant is going absolutely crazy at the moment!!
    Just thought I 'd share some pics of my brugs. First pic was taken about a week ago and the second pic was taken today...
    Love the aroma, especially at night, as it wafts down to the pergola...
    We have had a good month of rain, this month, so everything in the garden is going great at the moment
    Anyone else growing these??
    Oh and it is engulfing a Coconut palm which needs to be moved very soon. Not a task I am looking forward to actually.

Enjoy...

Ed

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's a pretty amazing plant.

3. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

I've grown Brugmansia (on a much smaller scale) with similar results. If watering and nutrients are sufficient, it's a great performer. Any reason why moving your Coconut palm is nessesary?

Cheers, LPN.

4. edleigh7

Thanks Daniel and Barrie.
    I want (well I really don't) to move that as I think it is getting swamped and looks a bit out of sorts at the moment. I guess I could leave it for a couple of years, until it outgrew the Brugs. I don't really want to mess with its roots, would you leave it Barrie?
    I'm sort of in 2 minds....

Ed

5. LPN

I think you nailed that one by saying, "I guess I could leave it for a couple of years, until it outgrew the Brugs." which is what I was thinking would be the best approach.
    Brugmansia can always be trimmed, cut back, shaped etc if needed and still provide a fast and fragrant focal point. The coconut palm is more of a steadfast structure in the garden providing a stately elegance.

Cheers, Barrie.

6. edleigh7

Righto done, thanks for helping me make up my mind Barrie, it stays

Ed

7. brahea22

brahea22 Member

In fact you can completely savage the brug to ground level and it will come right back if you feed it get many flushes of flowering in a season! Brugs are practicaly weeds even here in not particularly warm parts of the UK, tho they dont make it throught our winters. Its pretty common knowledge that this plant is a very powerfull hallucinogenic but a friend of mine slept with a couple of flowers beside the bed and had some very wierd dreams! I find that even sitting under a plant with as many flowers as yours can be a little intoxicating.

8. edleigh7

I've slept with flowers next to my bed and didn't have wierd dreams, no wierder than usual anyway. ; )
    And this plant has virtually continued flowering since early spring. I'm in sub tropics

Ed

9. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

I cut my Brugs down every year, they seem to be fairly hardy all things considered, I lost one last year, as the layer of mulch I threw on it got blown off in a windstorm, and I didn't realize it.

10. edleigh7

What sort of mulch do you use Carol?

Ed

11. Carol Ja

Carol Ja Active Member 10 Years

Mostly Maple leaves off of one of my trees, but if it something I really love, I put down a thick layer of straw first then leaves on top. Occasionally for really prized plants I make a wire tube, and put it around the plant first. Then fill it with the straw and leaves.

12. bullseye

bullseye Active Member

What is the best and fastest growing Brug out there? Just wondering as am about to take the Brug plunge come Spring

13. edleigh7

I'm not sure bullseye, but I have had this cutting for nearly a year, and it is going great guns at the moment.
    The mulch I use is sugarcane mulch at $6 a bale...

Ed

14. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

Bullseye - I don't know about the fastest growing brug, but I've been pretty impressed with one of mine (I have five), it is B sanguinea (sp?). I also think it is the most beautiful and exotic of all I've seen, not to mention tough.

It lives outside from early spring until the forecast is for a drop below freezing which is often not until December or later in my garden. Then I put it in an unheated greenhouse/shed until early spring. It never stops blooming. At the moment in the shed tonight it is 1 C. and it continues to bloom its head off as long as I keep feeding and watering it. I've never tested it for how much frost it will tolerate as I have with my other brugs because I hate to see it lose its flowers.

Diane

Attached Files:

15. edleigh7

Nice one Dianne!!!
    I like the two tone flowers, I'll have to keep my eye out for that one... : )

Ed

16. LPN

I gave up growing B sanguinea as it has no fragrance. I guess it makes up for it otherwise.

Cheers, LPN.

17. Thomas Anonymous

Thomas Anonymous Active Member

I got a 6 inch cutting with one leaf on it a couple years ago and it grew like crazy. Last summer it had ten or fifteen blossoms on it --- smelled great. I notice that after it flowers it drops all it's leaves and everything, though. I leave it in the garage over winter because we get hard frosts here near Vancouver, Canada. Another thing about them is that its virtually impossible to overfeed them.

18. Scherle

Scherle Member

Just came across this posting in the UBC Botanical Garden Forum

Is this plant growing in British Columbia or Australia

Seems it was from 2007

How does it grow presently?

19. edleigh7

The first pic is mine and is in Australia, still going great guns this end

Ed

20. islandweaver

islandweaver Active Member

The second picture is mine and it is still blooming it's heart out here on Canada's
    we(s)t coast. It seems as though it will bloom itself to death were it not for tremendous amounts of compost and fertilizer. The leaves start getting quite miniscule and yellow even while it will have dozens of flowers on it. It actually seems to prefer the cooler months. Diane

21. Scherle

Scherle Member

edleigh7 and island weaver

Thanks for that reply.

I as well have been growing brugmansia for a number of years

I used to with my husband, carry huge pots in and out each year. It was a chore for sure.

So we did decide to purchase a home in Fort Myers Florida, so as he could golf year round and I could garden

That worked out fine, in some ways. But has changed how I garden as well.

For sure compost and fertilizer is what Brugmansia like and yes they do seem to do well in the cold. But I think only after they have experienced the warmth of summer

I have a photo taken in a previous garden (I have moved a couple of times lately) of a row of Brugmansia blooming happily on a snowy day. Snow flakes falling and a sunny day. Kind of a neat photo

Love to see your Sanguinea (sp) and how it is doing. I have never managed to succeed in growing one.

One of the nurseries here in Ontario Black Forest on Keele Street, did at one time have several mature and blooming plants in their greenhouse. They where a sight to see.

22. Scherle

Scherle Member

Island weaver

I noticed your photo of the Sanguinia ( I should know how to spell it) just love that picture

I as well think it is just one of the most special plants ever.

How does it look just now. Would so love a picture

Lucky lady

Diane B.

23. LPN

Brugmansia 'variegata' (Oct.16-08).
    Cheers, LPN.

Attached Files:

24. edleigh7

Nice plant Barrie!! Do you find the variegation on the leaves burn in full sun???

Ed

25. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've got to chip in here, since I live in the native range of Brugmansia.

Here is my fave; it's a B. sanguinea fragrant cross...

Attached Files: