Deer

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by ivamace, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ivamace

ivamace Member

I am considering using Muehlenbeckia axillaris for a steppable in between flagstones in a new path. I need to know if deer like it. thank you in advance. I just found this site and hope I am posting in the right place. Iva

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Until deer and rabbits are fenced out you will always have that ax hanging over your gardening efforts. Deer in particular are also not entirely consistent and predictable about what they damage.

3. ivamace

ivamace Member

Thank you for the input. I have managed a deer resistant with the accent on the resistant garden now for 4 years. They sometimes take a taste but so far have not damaged anything permanently. After more research on the topic however, am going to use thyme to plant the flagstones. It will not climb or spread to more than I can handle. Iva

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Variables that occur include different deer with different tastes coming onto the site, colder than normal winter weather compelling them to strip plants ignored in previous years* and so on. 4 years is not long enough to determine such occurrences have been avoided. There is also the problem of bucks rubbing velvet off on young trees and making them look like they were run over by a mower.

It always boils down to fencing them out of the garden.

*Strangely, although native to cold climates deer frequently run out of natural browse during winter

5. ivamace

ivamace Member

Yes we know all about antlers and velvet and trees. We lost three aspens that way. Bless their hearts. However, we moved into THEIR territory so I can't really get too upset. We try to be good "neighbors" and I think they do too....at least so far. Thank you for your answer. Iva

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Because there's too many of them, since their natural predators have been removed. What's needed is some form of biological control.

7. jeanneaxler

jeanneaxler Active Member

Deer seem very well adjusted to Southern California for a cold climate native.
    Despite coyotes and mountain lions they thrive here.
    Fencing is really the only way to protect a garden.
    I tried to be a good neighbor and planted some vine on the fence willing to share the grapes I hoped would come some day but they are eating the plants trough the fence. I will reposition the grapes further back. Still willing to share.

8. ivamace

ivamace Member

Well, so far the deer here have taken tastes, sometimes chewing the piece up and spitting it out. Word must get around because they don't hurt the plants again. Never, so far, have they killed anything I've planted. I don't have a vegetable garden, just flowers around my house and they come and lay down in the beds, but do not eat anything from them. Someone told me he thought 4 years wasn't enough to judge but we have very cold winters up here. We live at 4000' level in the mountains and they've only eaten the food I put out for them in the winter and leave my garden alone in the summer. They're wonderful to watch especially when the moms bring their kidlets out for us to see. Thank you for your input. Good luck with the grapes. Iva

9. jeanneaxler

You have very well behaved deers! I envy you.

10. ivamace

ivamace Member

Yes, they do seem to be that way, don't they? I try to be a good neighbor and they seem to realize that. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it...:>) Iva

11. jeanneaxler

And a happy story it is!
    I will start feeding my deers when it starts snowing ;-) !