Replanting A.S.Aureum tip please.....

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Renata Magda, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Hi

Last year was a terrible summer here on the west cost of Norway with rain almost every day. My Aureum however looked beautiful. (the picture is from last autumn)

This year on the other hand we had an unpredictably great summer with over 30 degrees C. and sun almost every day. The tree got a minimum of 12 hours sun a day and inadvertently the leaves NOW look hard and burned, even on the lower branches.

Any one have some tips or point me to a place I can read about replanting my Aureum to another location?

Thanks Much

Renata

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

had to look to see what A.S.Aureum was.

Are you looking for advice on how to transplant or do you have another more specific question in mind?

3. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

It is a beauty
    Why would you want to replant it? Next year will be different all over again :)

4. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I had the opportunity to talk to one of the original owners of Whitney Gardens in Washington. She is 90 years old and has been around that nursery all her adult life. I was buying an A.s. 'Aureum' and she gave me a few pointers for success with that plant:

1.) Morning sun, afternoon shade.
    2.) NEVER fertilize it. EVER! She said just put some compost around the roots in the spring and leave it alone.
    3.) Careful with the water. Not too much, but don't let it dry out either. She said it likes to be a little drier than some of the palmatums.

Hope this helps!

5. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Thanks for those answers :)

I'll take a picture of it this weekend and post it Sunday. That picture I included in the message was taken last year. I definately like it where it is - In fact all the trees in the garden are planted in relation to this tree's position both texture and colorwise! This maple is the last of my trees to be backlit by sunset rays around 10 p.m. so I'd definately rather NOT move it.
    HOWEVER it looks unhappy to me this year and looks like its in suffering mode.

My SPECIFIC questions then are:

1) How do you dig a maple up?! I know roots are wide but have no idea where to start. 50 cm away enough? I'm worried about damaging fine roots.

2) WHEN shall I move it? We usually don't have frost here until January

3) If I move it do the same planting procedures apply for when planting a new Aureum from the nursery?

4) Since I'm replanting - do I trim any of the leaves if replanting now to save it having to work too hard in its new home? How much water afterwards???

Dyu see what I'm saying?

I'll certainly take a picture asap hoping an expert will say I can leave it where it is - Now that would make my day.

Thanks MUCH!

Renata

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Renata for re -planting read in FAQ "how to plant a maple"but,but
    why you want re-planting this maple? for a few days with temp.max over 30C°?
    i have this maple in full sun for many hours ,in zone 9!and only limited leaves are burned,for me your maple is happy....
    with best regards
    alessandro

7. whis4ey

I would keep it where it is and give it some temporary shade if you feel the sun is too hot
    My own trees have had a hard time this year too ......

8. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Hi Maple Enthusiasts!

The tree has been sunburned like this the whole summer. Quite a difference from last years photo. (see below) But if this is quite normal then I'll wait til next summer and reassess the tree again then.

Thanks Much

Renata

Attached Files:

9. whis4ey

Have you been having a lot of wind too? and less rainfall?

10. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

Not wind but very little rainfall. I didn't water it, thought it should manage. Been planted exactly one year ago.

Ren

11. whis4ey

Those temperatures and not watering has caused the damage then
    You will know better for next year if you have similar conditions
    I would do as you plan ... leave it and keep a close eye on it next year
    It certainly looked lovely last year when planted. These trees take some time to settle in, and not watering during its first year in the ground has had the effect you now see.
    As it settles in it will become stronger and less reliant on your attentions
    When any plant is newly planted it requires regular watering during (at least) its first year .... Japanese maples in particular require constant moisture

12. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i agree with Sam...

13. Renata Magda

Renata Magda Member

OK

We shall see if we can nurse this one back to health and hope for the best.

Renata

14. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

I agree: I'd leave it where it is, and next summer is also exceptionally hot, water more aggressively. I shouldn't think sunlight would be much of a problem at your latitude.