Identification: Russula question

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by paul9944, Sep 1, 2008.

1. paul9944

paul9944 Member

i have a Russula sp. with a reddish brown colored cap. it has no taste so i assume that eliminates emetica. i'm a novice using 3 good field guides and i've looked at many websites but cannot identify it. i found it growing under an aspen tree (n.y. state) along with several others in a northern forested region. since i'm stumped (and would like to eat it) i'm considering cooking and eating a small "test piece." any thoughts on that or recommendations for websites that will help with Russula indentification.

paul

2. paul9944

paul9944 Member

Russula question WITH photos

here are some photos to go with my message posted yesterday. since no one responded perhaps these will help. also the spore color is very pale yellow.

paul

Attached Files:

3. Geastrum

Geastrum Active Member

Re: Russula question WITH photos

Based on the yellow staining of the stem, the spore print color, and the striated cap margin, these could be Russula xerampelina. I'm more familiar with forms that have some pinkish coloration of the stem and those that I have found have been in conifer-dominated forests. I'm not familiar with your area, either, so I wouldn't eat these based on what I have said.

4. paul9944

paul9944 Member

i'm still uncertain about the species, but i've eaten "test samples" twice now and it is very tasty.

paul