Acer palmatum 'Hana matoi'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mapledia, Apr 8, 2007.

1. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

I'm so excited about this cultivar! After a long search, I finally have this new addition to my garden. As you can see, it's leafing out in a red and purple variegation, and I'll post updates as the spring moves on and the leaves are more fully formed. This photo was taken April 8, 2007.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Hana Matoi

I see the branches are green, even though the shoots are purple. Purple new growth fading to green? JAPANESE MAPLES seems to be saying it's a green-leaved plant:

"This Japanese cultivar has lovely pink and cream variegation in sections along the lobe edges and sometimes covering the entire lobe. The base color is green. The sublobes are not incised very deeply, so this cultivar is borderline between the Dissectum and Matsumarae Groups."

On the other hand MAPLES FOR GARDENS mentions it under 'To yama nishiki', says 'Hana matoi'

"has pink and white variegated purple leaves."

3. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Ron -- I've seen Peter Gregory's description in Vertrees' "Japanese Maples" and thereafter set about to find a Hana Matoi, which I now have. The tree does not look like that described by Gregory, but rather looks more like the description provided by Masayoshi Yano in his "Book for Maples" (see page 136) and bears a very strong resemblance to Yano's photo. However, my Hana Matoi is still leafing out, so I'm willing to suspend judgment until I see what the rest of spring will bring in leaf color and variegation. I'll post another photo in 7-10 days to record the progress.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Does Yano give a history of the cultivar? If he was looking at and describing the original clone that would be significant.

5. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Yano states that Hana Matoi is a "cultivar from 'Toyama Nishiki.' As 'Hanabi no Mai'...." Perhaps the confusion about the identity of my plant results from a difference between a cultivar being called Hana Matoi in parts of Europe that has pink, cream and green variegations unlike those of the Japanese Hana Matoi. Perhaps the confusion in the literature is because Gregory is describing the plant which, in Europe, is called Hana Matoi. As I suggested earlier, we'll just have to follow this plant to find out whether this plant's orientation is European or Japanese.

6. Galt

Galt Active Member

Ron,

Looks like that plant will be a green maple rather than red by the current color of the lobes or evaluation of the under and overtones. Other than to say it will be or is variegated, it will be too immature of a plant to really know what to call it for a few years...whether it is slected from Toyama nishiki, a form of it, unrelated altogether or misnamed...not to say it is not correct to begin with.

As just an aside to mapledia, I don't fell real good about the growth I am seeing on that plant and the vigor or lack-there-of (and I do realize that the stage of growth) . Not sure what comes under you special care list or if you plan to put it in the ground quickly like the much of the rest of your collection, but it will be a potted maple for you and should receive some extra care or I fear it may not be here in a few years for us to learn more about it.

Did it come from Kelleygreen Nursery?

7. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi -

some pics of my Hana matoi leafing out.
    Schusch

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  8. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This is a photo of Hana Matoi taken April 29, 2007. Much of the plant looks like one of its parents, Toyama Nishiki, but with a purple and pink coloration. It's showing more colorful variegation each day, and I'll post more photos as time goes on.

Attached Files:

9. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo, I think, will better show the variegation than the last 77KB photo.

Attached Files:

10. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Here is a close up of my Hana Matoi. It is not so different from the better known Goshiki shidare.

Gomero

Attached Files:

11. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

You're right, it's not so different from Goshiki Shidare in form, but at least in my garden, my Goshiki Shidare doesn't look anything like yours. The colors are so very different. I'm fascinated with the difference between same-named cultivars in Europe, America and Asia where three very different plants bear the same name. What a challenge this becomes for those of us trying to make comparisons.

This Hana Matoi looks most similar (but not identical) to a mauve-with-cream variegation Toyama Nishiki I have in my garden. Perhaps I am just looking for this because Toyama Nishiki apparently is one of the parent plants for Hana Matoi (according to Yano). Still, my Hana Matoi is very young, and consequently I have no idea what the future will hold for it. I will just keep posting photos as the years progress and hope a gorgeous plant will result.

12. Galt

Galt Active Member

In addition to people in different countried occassionally recognizing different plants for common varietal names, it is much more common that people just don't know or can't tell them apart. That yout Toyama nishiki is his Dissectum variegatum is her Goshiki shidare is his Beni shidare variegated and on and on. Before the discussion of variegated dissectums can really go anywhere it is better to try to compare apples to apples. It is very likely that all three of our Goshiki shidare maples look different becasue they are different plants and that is not limited to the cultural effects of light, light intensity, growing seasons and on and on. Colors are only half the battle with these plants as we will never know them if we don't recognize their leaf shapes.

In any regard. Any variegated dissecutm is a nice one and I am proud to have even if I don't have a clue that the heck it really is and think it might be three different things all at the same time.

Who's to say Hana matoi is a hybrid of anything and that the two parent hypothesis actually exists? It is a nice maple but all the rest will be speculation.

13. schusch

schusch Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I see more green in Gomero's Hana matoi - is this what it looks like in summer?
    (Sorry my pics aren't that sharp...)

Attached Files:

14. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

Galt: I totally agree. And with this tree, I suppose time will tell. Like you, I really do like the variegated dissectums and wish there were more of them.

15. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

This photo of Hana Matoi was taken May 10, 2007. The tree is in bright filtered sunlight and appears to be growing robustly. It's a young plant and only provides the subtlest of hints that it will ever look anything like the photo of Hana Matoi in Yano's book, but I'm excited about the progress made this spring.

Attached Files:

16. mapledia

mapledia Active Member

What a difference a year makes. More and better variegation this year, I'm glad to report. I sure wish there were more variegated dissectums around.

Attached Files:

17. arnaut

arnaut Active Member

Acer palm. 'Hana Matoi'

Acer palm. 'Hana Matoi'

Attached Files:

18. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Re: Acer palm. 'Hana Matoi'

Oooh!! Yummy! :-)

19. conifers

conifers Active Member

An August 2008 graft and it's now October 2008. This is a photo of a friend's plant who's a grafter.

Dax

Attached Files:

20. callai

callai Member Maple Society

I'm interested to see any changes in color or growth in your tree this spring. Any new comments? I've seen a friend's graft and am on the cusp of purchasing one this spring.

21. cthenn

cthenn Active Member

Here are a few pics of my Hana Matoi, taken March 19, 2010. I am really enjoying the vibrant pink and cream varigation! And, as you can tell from my photos, if you get the right light, you see all kinds of colors! Very pretty cultivar.

Attached Files:

22. callai

callai Member Maple Society

Thank you for the pictures. Beautiful colors, like a jewel. A couple of days ago I was checking out all my sleeping beauties to see which were starting to wake up. My Hana Matoi has been stepped on and broken to the graft by a 'helper' (I knew I didn't need a helper!) spreading mulch or either a cabin fevered Great Dane. I don't think I'll get a
    confession from either of them. Oh well, I'm sure the trees will be easier to find as time goes on. Except that I want one now.

23. winterhaven

winterhaven Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Oh, you have my deepest sympathies! When my dog almost murdered my Kamagata, she almost got murdered, too.

Re: difficulty finding, I almost talked someone into selling me one, but they decided to keep it for themselves. It's on my someday list. Not that I know where I'd put it. But somehow open garden spots "appear" when a worthy JM is available. I, too, have to believe they'll become more available with time.

24. Maple_Lady

Maple_Lady Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, this is one of my new favority JMs. Fast growing and gorgeous. Sam

Attached Files:

25. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

here is the photo of my Hana Matoi. It is about 4' tall and 4' wide. I do have it planted in full sun. I have taken photos of the tree from the north side and the south side to show the difference. I have some further away shots of it to show its presence in a garden

Attached Files: