fall sedum

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by fleur52, Aug 27, 2008.

1. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

The last few years my sedum has been growning fairly tall and falling over. Is it time to dig them up and split them or is there something wrong with my soil...

Thanks,

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Possibly too much shade? Which Sedum are you speaking of?

3. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

I don't know it's full name. It is a fall blooming sedum with light purple flowers. Up until this spring I had a row of pink flowering sedum in front of the purple but this spring none of them came back. They get all the morning sun, til about 1 pm.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Likely not enough light involved, full sun needed for these. You may get better results in another spot.

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Showy stonecrop, maybe. Mine is doing the same. At first I suspected that a neighbor's cat was using my plant as a lounging couch, but I think that maybe shade is a factor. Makes it leggy and sparse, which accentuates the falling-over action. So yes, I think a sunnier location would be good. My neighbor across the street (not the cat owner) has a large bed of stonecrop in full sun, and it thrives.

6. fleur52

fleur52 Active Member

Thanks guys...
    Since it seemed to do okay for the first couple of years, I just assumed something was now missing in the soil.