Over wintering Agapanthus

Discussion in 'Annuals, Biennials, Perennials, Ferns and Bulbs' started by onesunlover, Aug 26, 2008.

1. onesunlover

onesunlover Member

Hi folks!

Just wondering, I have noticed some agapanthus planted in the ground in some newer areas (Okanagan zone 5b) but am wondering if they can remain planted in the ground outdoors through out the winter, or do they have to be uprooted and brought indoors. Do they require mulching as well? I have a few that are potted and was going to put them in the garage for the winter. Any suggestions?

onesunlover

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

generally they survive down here on the coast, I still consider them touchy though and would suggest that you consider giving them some protection as your winters are cooler and dryer than ours generally speaking.

3. onesunlover

onesunlover Member

Thanks so much Jimmy Q for the quick response!

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

As with other groups those kinds which attempt to retain their leaves throughout the winter can be assumed to require greenhouse protection in frosty climates and those which die to the ground in fall may be able to return again in spring. Below USDA 7 or equivalent all are probably best given special protection, at least a deep mulch.