Newer Chinese Seed and Plant Co- Anyone dealt with them?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by MonkshoodManiac, Aug 24, 2008.

1. MonkshoodManiac

MonkshoodManiac Member

HI: Came across the Green-Sunny Eco-Science Co and noted that they have a lot of Magnolia species of interest. They also sells plants and pots and are based in Bejing.
    http://www.geruiflower.com/indexe.htm is a link to their web.

They list the following:

Magnolia insignis
    M. yuyuanensis
    M. chapensis
    M. macclurei
    M. martinii
    M. maudiae
    M. skinneri
    M. lotungensis

In addition, they also list Rhus chinensis, Schima superba, Styrax wuyuanensis and the flashy Ilex purpurea.

From what I can tell from their terms and conditions, they want a minimum order of $1000. I have asked them about the provenance and source of their seed.

Any feedback or comments appreciated if someone has had any direct experience with them and their seeds.

G

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If it happened you were able to arrange to talk to somebody from the I-guess-now-closed Piroche Plants wholesale nursery in Pitt Meadows you might be able to get some valuable tips from them. For years they imported plants from China and sold them to retail nurseries in North America and elsewhere.

3. MonkshoodManiac

MonkshoodManiac Member

Hi Ron: I was talking to them a few weeks back when they informed me of Sudden Oak running wild through their nursery!

They are going to be at the Can West Hort show though.

Their Sino connection is with the Nanjing BG I believe.

Still hoping for someone to tell of their personal experiences.

Cheers!

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Considering "The seeds we supply are fresh and from the primitive mother trees in the remote and non-polluted mountain areas. Names are determined by experienced taxonomists" and that some of the seeds being sold are from endangered species, I suppose some of the questions that need to be asked are whether the seeds are being harvested sustainably and legally.

5. MonkshoodManiac

MonkshoodManiac Member

Daniel: That's exactly my concern- the legality/illegality issue along with the primary question of "authenticity" of said species. This is why it was important for me to tap others' experiences (if any).

Will sit tight for awhile. I might contact Sun Wei-Bang at the KBG who was our leader on an expedition to Yunnan in 2000 and is one of the leaders in Magnolia preservation in the world. I let you know what he says (if anything) on Green-Sunny Eco-Science.

Cheers!