1 plant 2 different flowers hibiscus

Discussion in 'Hibiscus' started by lemonblueberry, Jul 26, 2008.

1. lemonblueberry

lemonblueberry Member

Hi I live in west central Florida. I have this hibiscus plant that is probably almost 6 ft tall. I'm pretty sure it's a tropical hibiscus. It produces red flowers. I just noticed that it is producing two different kinds of flowers. One looks like the traditional hibiscus while the other looks more like a rosy kind of hibiscus. It seems that the flowers only stay opened about a day than they close and die. You can see the two different flowers in the photos.
    Is this normal? I looked closely at the stems of the plant and they all look the same and all coming from the same spot. I find this to be very interesting. Anyone know why this plant is doing this? Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: Hibiscus rosa-sinensis. Maybe part of it has reverted to single flowers. Or it's a single-flowered one that sported a double. If one flower type is dominant and the two kinds of flowers have been occurring only comparatively recently that may serve as an indication of which type of flower it is "supposed" to have. If you prefer one over the other and it appears to be transforming into one type you may wish to prune out the branches producing the "wrong" flowers.

3. lemonblueberry

lemonblueberry Member

It's probably a hybrid. I like that it is producing the different flowers so I'm going to just leave it like it is (: Thanks so much!

4. hippychic37

hippychic37 Member

very normal for blooms to last only a day or 2. definately tropical

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like a straight H. rosa-sinensis and not a hybrid. Nor would hybridity account for the varying petal counts, if that is what you are thinking.

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

First pic is typically the National flower of Malaysia

Its name is Bunga Raya.

7. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

what time of the year did you take the pictures here in florida in my area they will bloom single in really cool wheather nov-feb sometimes march there is a mcdonalds that has the double red row of hibiscus that is about 10 feet long and they will bloom single for the cooler parts of the year. i have the harvest moon a yellow double that will bloom single also for a few months of the year oranges donot seem to do it as often but they will do it from time to time. i also have a double white called elephant ear that has bloomed single a few times.i have no clue what causes them to do it only in cooler wheather but i have two varietys that do it and see the double red at the mcdees that does it every year. the first time the harvest moon did it i thought it might have been some sort of mutation but when i talked to the person i got the cutting from he said his plant has done it evey year since he bought it.

8. lemonblueberry

lemonblueberry Member

I live in West central Florida. I've heard that they bloom all year long here. I've had the plant for about 5 months now and it has not stopped blooming. It is beautiful! Some say that it may be a hybrid or I've heard that it may have converted naturally.

9. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

it could also be that allot of the times when you buy a hibiscus plant there may be 5 or more plants actually in that pot i got one one time and pulled out 6 different plants all rooted cutting that where not connected and several of them where different varietys. so it may be possible that the plant just happen to get a single red thrown in with the regular double red. if the one that throws the single reds is attached to the double red higher up than it may be a revert or may even be a sport if it has been putting the singles out the whole time you have had it. mine only throw singles in cooler wheather not all year. is there only one main stem coming out of the ground or is there multiple stems coming out of the ground not sure why anyone would graft a double red they are easy enough to grow on there own roots but there may be a single red rootstock and the graft is the double its hard to say. i have one plant that has 4 different varietys grafted to it but that was an experiment to see if grafting other hibiscus to the snow queen. a variegated they say is caused by a virus. i wanted to see if it would make the other hibiscus throw variegation. they all grow normally and no signs of variegation. so i am tending to believe that the variegation in the snow queen is cause by something different.but that is another subject.