Help with my pineapple

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by TipseyTara, Aug 15, 2008.

1. TipseyTara

TipseyTara Member

Hello everyone and anyone who reads this.
    I just recently started a pineapple plant. At the moment I have it in rooting in some water and I can see the white roots shooting out of the plant. My question is the leaves on the plant are starting to turn brown. My question is can I cut the dead parts off or should I just leave them alone. Will they fall off when I plant it in dirt?

Thanks in advance for any help this site rocks,
    Tara

2. Tylerj

Tylerj Member

You can trim off the brown parts for appearance sake if you like. I would mist the top daily to help it from drying out until it gets planted and established. Once planted and growing the new growth will replace those that have died further down the stalk. As long as the new growth coming out the middle is green you are ok.

3. humboldt101

humboldt101 Member

I've gotten best results from just twisting the crown till it pops off the fruit. Pull the bottom leaves off, and let dry for a few days. Then, plant in well draining mix. No need to put it in water. It will grow. Good luck. Chris.

4. MorahSharon

MorahSharon Member

I've had the same pineapple plant in a jar of water in my classroom for a couple of
    years. As long as there's water in the jar it seems to be pretty much indestructible.
    I pull off the brown funky leaves at the bottom about every 6 months and once in a while
    wipe the slime from the inside of the jar. It seems to thrive on abuse. Someone said if
    I put it in dirt I'll get a fruit. When school starts I think I'll try it.

5. humboldt101

humboldt101 Member

Yeah, it will take a while though. Here is a pic of my last one. Still has a while to mature.

Attached Files:

6. MorahSharon

MorahSharon Member

Wow! Once it starts growing, how long does it take to mature? Will it only start growing when the length of the day is right (...spring)? The kids in the class would really love this.

7. humboldt101

humboldt101 Member

They usually take about two years.The one in the photo is not mature yet. Here is a page with info on pineapples from California Rare Fruit Growers (CRFG). I caught the bug after my first fruit. Now every time I buy a pineapple I have to plant it. http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pineapple.html.

8. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

when it produces fruit that plant dies and puts out little pups from underneath there is a few varietys not sure of the name of it it has thorns all over the leaves and the little leaves on the fruit also have the thorns but it produces pups just underneath the pinapple and sometime above the pinapple. the first fruit you get from the top of a store bought fruit will be smaller usually than the fruit it came off of than the pupos that are produced from it will be larger. the plant will usually not die as soon as the fruit is ripe and removed it will usually live long enough to put out 1 to sometimes 4 or 5 sets of pups so it can sometimes live another 6 months after the fruit is gone and sometimes it will die really soon after. they can also be grown from seeds i have only ever found one seed in a fruit and it never sprouted coarse they say it can take 6 months to sprout so i probably gave up too soon. the fruit does have flowers that develop on the sides of it i donot know if i still have a picture of the flowers or not i will try to find it this weekend if i remeber. not even sure how or when you might be able to pollinate it to make it have seeds or if it is even self compatable.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  9. MorahSharon

MorahSharon Member

Do the pinapple flowers self pollinate?........does anyone know?
    If not how do I do it?
    Isn't that necessary to get a fruit?

10. mikeyinfla

mikeyinfla Active Member

i am lenaing towards that on this fruit it does not need to set seeds to produce fruit i have only ever seen one pineapple seed. if a pineapple had been fully pollinated there would be hundreds of seeds.there are a bunch of fruits that set fruit withought being pollinated they still techniqually have seeds they just nevere developed into a full seed. like bananas the little black specs all in the fruit would be seeds if it was cross pollinated they are self sterile so i asume its the same thing with pinapples even though they are no where close to being related its just an example of one that does it. if you are trying to get a cross breed/hybrid to grow seeds than looking for more info on cross pollinating pineapples would be worth it but just to get it to fruit than that info is not really needed. i did find a pic of the thorny pineapple in flower but like i said it has never had any seeds in it i had thought about trying to cross it with the store bought ones but luckily they have not been in bloom at the same time i donot really need another experiment sorry if me mentioning seeds threw you off. again pineapples donot need to set seeds to fruit the blue light purple is the bloom.sorry agian for any confusion had more time to think about the self sterile thing.

Attached Files:

11. MorahSharon

MorahSharon Member

Thou art forgiven mikeyinfla!
    I'm just doing this in a pre-kindergarden class and we aren't
    so sophisticated.
    We're just having fun with plants or fruits that we know.
    If I could get a pineapple fruit to grow in class they'd be thrilled.

12. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Tara if you have the common pineapple, it is Ananas cosmosus, which is a terrestrial grown Bromeliad. Take it out of water immediately!! Place it in some well drained mix, like orchid mix, and it needs full sun to mature.
    Good luck

Ed